website statistics

National & International Sports Awards

konig

On 12/12/2023 at 8:55 AM, Grassmarket said:

Has not been a hugely great year for individual achievement in :GBR so our list includes a few people with lifetime achievements alongside great winners from the year. 

Stuart Broad - Cricketer

Frankie Dettori - Horse racing

Mary Earps - Women's Football goalkeeper

Alfie Hewitt - Wheelchair tennis

Katarina Johnson-Thompson - Heptathlon World Champion

Rory McIlroy - Golf

Mary Earps probably the favourite based on the numbers of viewers of her games in the Women's World Cup.

Sports Personality of the Year 2023 shortlist: Broad, Dettori, Earps, Hewett, Johnson-Thompson & McIlroy - BBC Sport

Jake Jarman, Matt Richards, Josh Kerr, Beth Potter, Tom Pidcock, Bryony Page, Emma Finucane and Joe Choong all raise a quizzical eyebrow....

7 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Jake Jarman, Matt Richards, Josh Kerr, Beth Potter, Tom Pidcock, Bryony Page, Emma Finucane and Joe Choong all raise a quizzical eyebrow....

Oh for sure, but sadly the second rank Olympic sports don't get much recognition here. 

:ALG named best athletes of 2023 :

Namour in women :gymnastic

Moula in men :athletics

-23U Nisreen : first women qualified to paris in cycling

Nassima saifi the world champion in para athletics

Kunduz bronze world medalist in canoe paraSport

do.php?img=65642

do.php?img=65641

do.php?img=65640

do.php?imgf=top4top_me031dc2673aa61.jpg

Today winner of "89th Plebiscyt Przeglądu Sportowego" for the best Polish athlete of the year will be announced, but it's already known that Robert Lewandowski didn't managed to qualify top10 and instead him in top10 are for example golf player Adrian Meronk and women's epee team :yikes:

Nikola Grbić is announced as coach of the year (too bad, I was expected that Stefano Lavarini will be coach of the year as he did more with the team) while men's volleyball team is the team of the year, cross-country skier, world champion and silver medalist this year, Wojciech Skupień is Paralympian of the year and Diamond League meeting in Chorzów is selected as best sport event in Poland of the year.

For now results for main award are as follow:

10th place - Adrian Meronk (golf)

9th - Renata Knapik-Miazga, Martyna Swatowska-Wenglarczyk, Magdalena Pawłowska, Ewa Trzebińska (fencing - epee)

8th - Martyna Klatt, Helena Wiśniewska (sprint canoeing)

7th - Hubert Hurkacz (tennis)

In meantime sprint canoer Adrianna Kąkol wins award of "Olympic Hope for Paris", while retired football player Jakub Błaszczykowski gets award for entirety career.

Edited by rybak

6th place for Wojciech Nowicki (athletics)

5th for Piotr Żyła (ski jumping)

4th for Natalia Kaczmarek (athletics)

Top3 is Aleksander Śliwka (volleyball), Bartosz Zmarzlik (speedway racing) and Iga Świątek (tennis), I guess that it will be correct order from 3rd to 1st place :d 

In meantime president of our NOC did announced that gold medalists from Paris and Cortina will receive a new houses! :thumbup:

Edited by rybak

And everything went as expected, 3rd place for Śliwka (who looked for being dissapointed), 2nd place for Zmarzlik and 1st place second time in a row for Świątek.

I believe that she will be first as well in next Plebiscyt if she will have medal in Paris.

Edited by rybak

For the second year in a row, we had Tentoglou and Drisbioti win.

For me, Tentoglou is totally deserved. He won gold at the European indoors and World outdoors and is clearly the best long jumper in the world.

The other finalists were Petrounias and Ntouskos, which to me doesn't make much sense. Petrounias won silver at the worlds and bronze at the Europeans, while Ntouskos missed the podium at the worlds but won silver at the Europeans. This time, no Antetokounmpo or Tsitsipas. Actually, Tsitsipas was 9th despite making a GS final. Men's skeet world champion Mitas was only 4th in the voting. In my opinion, he should've been a finalist over Ntouskos. However, I can live with these results.

Drisbioti winning for the women is completely a joke. Sure, she had a solid year, but is she really the best we had in women's sport? She won bronze in 35km at the World Championships, which is not even an Olympic event. Then she won gold at the European race walking cup and set national records in 20km and indoor 3km, but it's ridiculous that she won now two years in a row without winning a World Championships medal in an Olympic event.

Korakaki and Ntountounaki were the other finalists. Korakaki makes sense as she won a World Championships silver and European Championships gold in Olympic events. Ntountounaki though? She won gold and bronze at the European short course championships. Not fair to girls like Katzouraki (7th place), Gkountoura (11th place), Georgiadou (14th place) who won World Championship medals in Olympic events. So ridiculous how they weren't even close to being finalists.

I'm not surprised though, Drisbioti and Ntountounaki always get some favoritism in these awards because they are popular with journalists.

It's a shame that Georgiadou the last two years was not a finalist for this award despite being a World Championships medalist each year. In 2023 she also won gold medals in Grand Prix and World Cup events but gets no love. To make things worse, she is 95% not going to the Olympics yet again because of the one fencer per country rule if you don't qualify a team :cry: