website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

2 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Yeah 23 seems reasonable, though they predicted Canada to win 4 of the 6 medals in men's snowboard slopestyle/big air :lol:. I noticed that there were some other Canadians medal contenders that weren't predicted to win though like Brendan Mackay and Kim Boutin.

23 medals doesn't seem wildly off (although I'm of course hoping for more). It was just 5 snowboard medals compared to 4 in Freestyle Skiing that stood out to me.

44 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

Sounds a bit different here: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1118650/taiwanese-team-beijing-2022-ceremonies

More pressure than "negotiations".

Every media has its own stance or interpretation which is much longer than the fact. Nothing surprise.

At the beginning of every olympics I read again the best text about olympics written in Polish by a great Polish volleyball player, an olympian and then a journalist, who sadly passed away in 2004. Amazing person, wonderful guy.

ZDZISŁAW AMBROZIAK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zdzisław_Ambroziak

Here it is in English translation (which isn't great cause Google translate did it). He wrote it before Sydney 2000.

On the one hand, it was raised by the liturgy and Olympic spells. Kalos k'agathos; beautiful and good. Harmony of the advantages of soul and body. Pure and noble sport, unspoiled by politics and money, a medicine and an antidote to the civilization of violence. On the other - corruption and bureaucracy. Gigantism and commercialization have gone beyond all limits. A doping gang that causes the sport to devour its own children. Rational people have no illusions - in sport it is much too late to call evil evil, because it is the norm. Better to be dead than the other.

In the middle there are crowds, millions who want the Games. People who disagree that it is all a big lie. Who gather strength, take holidays, repair TV installations and wait for real emotions. The fan doesn't want to hear about the bastard. A fan goes to the stadium or stares at the TV set to see himself. The one he did not become.

(...) The pre-Olympic fever is similar every time. Everyone wants to unmask the Olympics: in the newspaper, on TV, in the yard, in the shop. The less someone knows about sports, the louder he screams. Although he cannot accurately give the distance of a marathon run, he effectively strips us of the Olympic myths: "Deception, bribery, fraud, blood, wounded, killed - this was really the case with the Olympics in antiquity".

Meanwhile, I plan to defend the Olympics. Not only because of his innate defiance, but also because of his aversion to intruders. I feel a bit as if a stranger is throwing mud on my loved ones. Like some jerk is shredding his face that my sister or niece are slutty. At first reflex, it doesn't matter how it really is.

Samaranch and his empire have nothing to do with it. Before a person thinks, he reacts instinctively - wara! I know it's rude, but I have a right to write like that. I have been an Olympian twice, I have participated in the opening ceremony twice, and I cannot describe the sources of the most sincere emotion that squeezes a man by the throat during the words of the Olympic oath. I still remember this emotion. And I will probably not forget it anymore.

Of course, the greatest fear and general reluctance of those who are concerned about Olympic madness are doping. I have always replied that doping has always existed, and that it is not athletes, but primarily the media and sponsors, that are responsible for its contemporary, spooky dimension. It has been journalists who have been repeating for decades over and over again that human possibilities are endless. It was in newspapers and on television that the image of a borderless creature was created, mocking gravity, physiology and chronology. Meanwhile, a man, no matter how much he trained, will not grow wings so that he can fly like a bird. This is the front page of doping.

The second is a sponsor who understands that winning the war on doping is losing the war for new records. The sponsor also knows that people won't turn on their televisions to watch athletes swim slower, jump lower, and lift less. The circle is closed because the sponsor does not want to do good to the TV viewers or sportsmen, but to do good to himself. It is certain.

The modern pharmacological industry launches a mass of money comparable only to space research. Fashion for eternal youth, slim figure and fitness until old age is becoming the madness of our times. Doctors know this, but it is athletes who are supposed to affect the imagination of millions. A better occasion than the Olympic Games has not yet been invented, after all, not the fault of the athletes. If you put a little effort into it, you can approach nepotism, corruption, aborigines, politics, ecology, hypocrisy and the rest of the Olympic lie in the same way.

A really difficult choice between caring for the salvation of sport and hope for the salvation of the world. If we were to wait for all people to become brothers, the Olympic Games would never begin. On the other hand, on the hell, let's not be so demanding of sports. Let's just think: brutality, deception, dirtyness are tolerated everywhere, except in the ring. We can wander in the dirt, but boxers are expected to have clean punches and a noble fight. Outrage (a hundred times right!) Is caused by corruption and bureaucracy in the IOC, but for the sake of hygiene, I would advise you to look around.

I know it's clichéd, but the last Olympics in the century have special rights, so I will repeat it again. The colorful five Olympic rings are one of the most recognizable logos of our time. An icon everyone knows. It is a strange twinkling gem of our civilization, reflecting the splendors and miseries of the modern world. If the image reflected in this mirror also has disturbing and ominous colors, the mirror cannot be blamed for it.

In Polish:

Z jednej strony podniosła liturgia i olimpijskie zaklęcia. Kalos k'agathos; piękni i dobrzy. Harmonia zalet duszy i ciała. Sport czysty i szlachetny, nieskażony polityką i pieniędzmi, lek i antidotum na cywilizację przemocy.
Z drugiej - korupcja i biurokracja. Gigantyzm i komercjalizacja posunięte poza wszelkie granice. Gangrena dopingu sprawiająca, że sport pożera własne dzieci. Ludzie rozumni nie mają złudzeń - w sporcie jest już stanowczo za późno, by zło nazwać złem, bo jest ono normą. Lepiej być martwym niż drugim.
Pośrodku zaś tłumy, miliony, które pragną igrzysk. Ludzie, którzy nie zgadzają się, że to wszystko jest wielkim kłamstwem. Którzy gromadzą siły, biorą urlopy, naprawiają instalacje TV i czekają na prawdziwe wzruszenia. Kibic nie chce słyszeć o draństwie. Kibic idzie na stadion albo gapi się w telewizor, aby zobaczyć siebie. Tego, którym się nie stał.
(...) Przedolimpijska gorączka za każdym razem jest podobna. Każdy chce zdemaskować igrzyska: w gazecie, w telewizorze, na podwórku, w sklepie. Im kto ma mniejsze pojęcie o sporcie, tym głośniej krzyczy. Nie potrafi wprawdzie porządnie podać dystansu biegu maratońskiego, ale za to skutecznie odziera nas z olimpijskich mitów: "Podstęp, przekupstwo, oszustwa, krew, ranni, zabici - tak było naprawdę z igrzyskami w starożytności".
Tymczasem ja planuję bronić igrzysk olimpijskich. Nie tylko z wrodzonej przekory, ale i z niechęci do intruzów. Czuję się trochę tak, jakby ktoś obcy obrzucał błotem moich najbliższych. Jakby jakiś palant strzępił sobie gębę, że moja siostra albo siostrzenica są puszczalskie. W pierwszym odruchu nie ma znaczenia, jak jest naprawdę.
Samaranch i jego imperium nie mają tu nic do rzeczy. Człowiek, zanim pomyśli, instynktownie reaguje - wara! Wiem, że to niegrzeczne, ale mam prawo tak pisać. Dwukrotnie byłem olimpijczykiem, dwukrotnie uczestniczyłem w ceremonii otwarcia i nie potrafię opisać źródeł najszczerszego wzruszenia, jakie ściska człowieka za gardło podczas słów olimpijskiej przysięgi. Ja to wzruszenie wciąż pamiętam. I pewnie już nie zapomnę.
Największą trwogę i powszechną niechęć zatroskanych olimpijskim szaleństwem budzi oczywiście doping. Odpowiadam niezmiennie, że doping istniał od zawsze, a za jego współczesny, upiorny wymiar odpowiedzialni są nie sportowcy, lecz przede wszystkim media i sponsorzy. To dziennikarze od dziesięcioleci powtarzają w kółko, że możliwości człowieka są nieograniczone. To w gazetach i w telewizji powstał wizerunek istoty bez granic, która drwi z grawitacji, fizjologii i chronologii. Tymczasem człowiekowi, choćby nie wiem ile trenował, nie wyrosną skrzydła, żeby mógł fruwać jak ptak. To pierwsza strona dopingu.
Drugą jest sponsor, który rozumie, że wygranie wojny z dopingiem oznacza przegranie wojny o nowe rekordy. Sponsor wie także, że ludzie nie włączą telewizorów, żeby oglądać atletów pływających wolniej, skaczących niżej i dźwigających mniej. Koło się zamyka, bo sponsor nie chce zrobić dobrze telewidzom ani sportowcom, tylko chce zrobić dobrze sobie. To jest pewne.
Współczesny przemysł farmakologiczny uruchamia masy pieniędzy porównywalne jedynie do badań kosmosu. Moda na wieczną młodość, smukłą sylwetkę i fitness do późnej starości staje się obłędem naszych czasów. Lekarze o tym wiedzą, ale to przecież sportowcy mają działać na wyobraźnię milionów. Lepszej okazji niż igrzyska olimpijskie jeszcze nie wymyślono, przecież nie z winy sportowców. Jakby się trochę przyłożyć, podobnie można podejść do nepotyzmu, korupcji, aborygenów, polityki, ekologii, hipokryzji i całej reszty olimpijskiego kłamstwa.
Doprawdy trudny wybór pomiędzy troską o zbawienie sportu i nadzieją na zbawienie świata. Jeżeli mielibyśmy czekać, aż wszyscy ludzie staną się braćmi - to igrzyska olimpijskie nie rozpoczęłyby się nigdy. Z drugiej strony, u licha, nie bądźmy tacy strasznie wymagający wobec sportu. Pomyślmy tylko: brutalność, podstęp, świństwo toleruje się wszędzie, tylko nie na ringu. My możemy taplać się w brudzie, ale od bokserów wymaga się czystych ciosów i szlachetnej walki. Oburzenie (po stokroć słuszne!) budzi korupcja i biurokracja w MKOl, ale dla higieny radziłbym rozejrzeć się dookoła.
Wiem, że to banalne, ale ostatnie igrzyska olimpijskie w stuleciu mają szczególne prawa, więc powtórzę raz jeszcze. Kolorowe pięć kółek olimpijskich to jedno z najlepiej rozpoznawalnych logo naszych czasów. Ikona, którą znają wszyscy. To przedziwny migotliwy klejnot naszej cywilizacji, w którym odbijają się blaski i nędze współczesnego świata. Jeżeli obraz, odbity w tym zwierciadle, posiada również barwy niepokojące i złowrogie - nie można o to winić lustra.

53 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

So here's how AP predicted the medals (Gold-Silver-Bronze-Total)

1. :NOR Norway: 20-8-11-39

2. :GER Germany: 10-8-7-25

3. :USA United States: 8-16-14-38 :lol:

4. :CHN China: 8-3-7-18

5. :SWE Sweden: 7-7-4-18

6. :NED Netherlands: 7-5-7-19

7. :CAN Canada: 6-10-7-23

8. :FRA France: 6-7-8-21

9. :AUT Austria: 6-5-10-21 (note, this includes a medal for Kramer)

10. :SUI Switzerland: 6-4-5-15

11. :ROC Russian Olympic Committee: 5-14-8-27

12. :JPN Japan: 5-7-8-20

13. :KOR South Korea: 4-3-0-7

14. :ITA Italy: 3-0-2-5

15. :GBR Great Britain: 2-1-0-3

16. :SVK Slovakia: 1-2-0-3

16. :NZL New Zealand: 1-2-0-3

18. :CZE Czech Republic: 1-1-2-4

19. :FIN Finland: 1-1-1-3

20. :LAT Latvia: 1-1-0-2

21. :BEL Belgium: 1-0-0-1

22. :AUS Australia: 0-2-1-3

23. :SLO Slovenia: 0-1-0-1

23. :ESP Spain: 0-1-0-1

24. :BLR Belarus: 0-0-4-4

25. :HUN Hungary: 0-0-2-2

26. :EST Estonia: 0-0-1-1

Once again, AP is using the strategy of "predicting every American that's a medal contender to be on the podium" and also using the strategy of "I hate Canada". 

I thought you guys were good friends/neighbors.:d On a more serous note, I think countries like Switzerland, Sweden, Italy, Canada and Germany will most probably fare slightly better than AP anticipates and the US...OK, somewhat worse I guess.:p

1 hour ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Once again, AP is using the strategy of "predicting every American that's a medal contender to be on the podium" and also using the strategy of "I hate Canada". 

One silver medal for Slovenia? I'm convinced they don't follow ski jumping AT ALL. Worthless predictions IMO.

Btw, it still feels strange to me that Norway is predicted to have 20+ gold medals. That would be by far the most any nation has ever won at a single WOG and they aren't even the hosts. It would be kinda historic if they will achieve this level of success. 

1 hour ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

:SVK Slovakia: 1-2-0-3

That must be a copy/paste from PyeongChang 2018 I see, but Kuzmina is no longer there :d