website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Championships 2017

hckošice

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Just in case that someone from FIS is reading this, do not put some weird intermediate sprints in that mass start. :lol:

:rofl:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

German coach on TV: "The winners are the deserved winners, because they were the fastest."

And that's how it is :p 

Exactly. Even though I'm not sure today's results represent so well who the most complete skiers in downhill and slalom combined are.

Starting order is the issue here. But if you don't reverse the top 30 for slalom, folks would switch their TVs off after 10 skiers.

Doing slalom first could be the solution here. You'd have all the top combi skiers starting early in the slalom, then the downhill is pretty neutral in terms of start numbers.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb hckosice:

Klaudia Nemcová 26th in the GS qualification, thats what I call heartbreaking :(

Looks like our teams will meet in the First Round of the Team Event. Is Slovakia competing with Vlhova und Velez-Zuzulova? If so,  it might be a 50:50 race with your women and our men being the favourites in their runs.

FIS ALPINE SKIING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

v2H+QX54IegN0OnrB8mrR+Prge6PtUDXQ90faoHu

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Men's Alpine Combined
Final Results

SUI.gif AERNI Luca
2:26.331:41.86+44.47

AUT.gif HIRSCHER Marcel
2:26.341:41.55+44.79

SUI.gif CAVIEZEL Mauro
2:26.391:40.30+46.09

Swiss strike again: Aerni golden in combined

2Q==

The Swiss had another amazing day at the 2017 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships after Luca Aerni earned the alpine combined gold medal. His teammate Mauro Caviezel took home the bronze medal, bringing the medal tally for the host nation to six in as many races.

Aerni, who was named as the last Swiss racer for the alpine combined team just last night, finished in 30th place in the downhill run, making him the first starter for the slalom run. He clocked the fastest time of the day in the slalom, although did not know if his run would hold off the top names like Marcel Hirscher and Alexis Pinturault and had to sit through the entire field waiting in the leader box.

But one-by-one his competition came down and could not best the young Swiss ace. Hirscher missed the mark by the smallest of all possible margins, 0.01 seconds, taking home the silver medal. Swiss teammate Mauro Caviezel, meanwhile, also came very close, ending just 0.06 seconds off the golden pace for the bronze.

“I was really nervous the last 45 minutes waiting for everyone to finish," said Aerni. "I could only watch and hope as the others came down. I knew my slalom run was good, but with the combined you never know what will happen. It was definitely a long wait until I realized I had the gold medal."

Romed Baumann (AUT) held the lead after the downhill run, 0.12 ahead of Frenchman Adrien Theaux. Most of the traditional slalom skiers sat more than a second off the pace after the downhill run. The best speed racers were Dominik Paris and Aleksander Aamodt Kilde, who tied for fourth place 0.40 seconds behind.

The three medalists were also the three racers with the best slalom times. Hirscher was 28th after the downhill and Caviezel was 14th.

It was the first medal for both of the Swiss skiers, who also both have never earned a podium place in the World Cup. It was Hirscher’s fifth career World Championship medal, as he now has three silvers and two golds.

Tomorrow is Nations Team Event, which begins at 12:00 CET. It is sure to be of great interest to the public with the event newly added to the Olympic programme for the 2018 PyeongChang Games.

Full Results Here

Luca Aerni

Alpine Combined World Champion 2017

(2nd Run)

Marcel Hirscher

2nd Run

Race Replay

1st Run

2nd Run

34 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Looks like our teams will meet in the First Round of the Team Event. Is Slovakia competing with Vlhova und Velez-Zuzulova? If so,  it might be a 50:50 race with your women and our men being the favourites in their runs.

yes in the first list we wrote Velez-Zuzulová, Vlhová and both Žampa Brothers. but Adam is still questionable, not sure he´ll be even able to stand on skis tomorrow, so we´ll see

Go :BEL :clap:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!