website statistics

Taekwondo Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

Anyone want to give predictions on which nations will win the four tripartite events? They are the men's -68kg, men's -80, women's -67kg and women's +67kg.

Here's a list of eligible nations which competed at one of the qualifying events and have not qualified in taekwondo in a different event (note this is not a requirement, but it is likely the spots will go to one of these nations).

Men's -68kg - :AFG:AND:BEN:BOL:CAF:HON:IRQ:KOS:LAO:LES:LIB:MAD:MNE:MYA:NCA:NEP:OMA:PAR:SMR:SOL:STP:SUR:SWZ:SYR:TLS:TOG:VAN

Men's -80kg - :AND:BEN:CHA:HON:PAK:SMR:SUD:SUR

Women's -67kg - :HAI:HON:MKD:PAK

Women's +67kg - :HON:MNE:NEP:SWZ:ISV

Unsurprisingly the men's -68kg has the most competition including decent athletes from Afghanistan, Andorra and Central African Republic and you can add Suriname for a representative from the Americas too. Macedonia will probably be the favourite for the women's -67kg assuming they applied for a spot. The other events don't have a clear favourite. Using the Olympic rankings the highest ranked nations are Central African Republic (-68kg), Honduras (-80kg), Macedonia (-67kg) and Honduras (+67kg). Obviously Honduras won't get two spots (more likely to get the women's spot). With that said my predictions are Afghanistan/Central African Republic, Chad/Pakistan, Macedonia and Honduras respectively

8 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Anyone want to give predictions on which nations will win the four tripartite events? They are the men's -68kg, men's -80, women's -67kg and women's +67kg.

Here's a list of eligible nations which competed at one of the qualifying events and have not qualified in taekwondo in a different event (note this is not a requirement, but it is likely the spots will go to one of these nations).

Men's -68kg - :AFG:AND:BEN:BOL:CAF:HON:IRQ:KOS:LAO:LES:LIB:MAD:MNE:MYA:NCA:NEP:OMA:PAR:SMR:SOL:STP:SUR:SWZ:SYR:TLS:TOG:VAN

Men's -80kg - :AND:BEN:CHA:HON:PAK:SMR:SUD:SUR

Women's -67kg - :HAI:HON:MKD:PAK

Women's +67kg - :HON:MNE:NEP:SWZ:ISV

Unsurprisingly the men's -68kg has the most competition including decent athletes from Afghanistan, Andorra and Central African Republic and you can add Suriname for a representative from the Americas too. Macedonia will probably be the favourite for the women's -67kg assuming they applied for a spot. The other events don't have a clear favourite. Using the Olympic rankings the highest ranked nations are Central African Republic (-68kg), Honduras (-80kg), Macedonia (-67kg) and Honduras (+67kg). Obviously Honduras won't get two spots (more likely to get the women's spot). With that said my predictions are Afghanistan/Central African Republic, Chad/Pakistan, Macedonia and Honduras respectively

Nice analysis, but sometimes tripartite quotas simply don't make any sense. Like for example Liva Saryee from Liberia who received a tripartite place for judo in 2012.

It later transpired that Saryee had been proposed for selection by the national judo federation despite never having taken part in any judo competition and being unfamiliar with the rules of judo.

#banbestmen

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

Nice analysis, but sometimes tripartite quotas simply don't make any sense. Like for example Liva Saryee from Liberia who received a tripartite place for judo in 2012.

Yes there's always weird choices, most likely due to the lack of applicants. One thing I've noticed about taekwondo is that they like to hand out quotas to different continents (3, or 4 if Europe gets one). Asia's quota could be interesting should they not be given the -68kg quota since only Nepal and Pakistan competed and they aren't particularly good and may not have even applied (now that I think about taekwondo is popular in Nepal so maybe they have applied).

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Just what I found as well now. Well, that's not very good by a double Olympic medallist to lose like that..

Actually that was the old rule, per new rules they give Kyong-go (means caution in Taekwondo) a bit easier but instead getting 10 Kyong-gos means PUN (or simply disqualification) it rarely happens these days

I mostly hope Afghanistan gets the one for Nikpai, I have no clue about the rest :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!