website statistics

Wrestling Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Thanks! Although I'm not exactly familiar with the repechage system used and its hard to find it while on a phone :p

If you lost against an eventual finalist you go to the repechage?

Yes, you have 2 finalists - A and B 

And all the wrestlers that lost to A and B go to the repechage rounds.

Path 1 - losers to finalist A - 1 round loser in the 1/8 goes against the loser in the 1/4. Their winner goes against the loser in the 1/2 for the bronze medal.

The same goes to Path 2 for the second bronze medalist.

And then the two bronze medalists go against each other for the olympic quota.

finalists Greco-Roman:

59: Stig-Andre BERGE (NOR) vs. Seunghak KIM (KOR)

66: Ion Iulian PANAIT (ROM) vs. Tero Seppo VAELIMAEKI (FIN) 

75: Bin YANG (CHN) vs. Peter BACSI (HUN)

85: Javid HAMZATAU (BLR) vs. Maksim MANUKYAN (ARM) 

98: Aliaksandr HRABOVIK (BLR) vs. Revazi NADAREISHVILI (GEO)

130: Amir Mohammadali GHASEMIMONJAZI (IRI) vs.Qiang MENG (CHN)

Amir Ghasemi saved the day, but only a little bit.

Hamid Sourian loss was of course a big disappointment and I don`t know if our federation will give him another chance.

After all he had 3 chances to qualify. If I were Saman Abdevali I would except our federation to send me to the 2nd Qualification Tournament.

Saying that I think Sourian would be the only one who deserves a 4`th chance.

Selcuk Cebi misses out on a ticket, given his recent world championship medals including gold last year that seems like quite a big name who has to save his Olympics at the 2nd/last tournament..

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Selcuk Cebi misses out on a ticket, given his recent world championship medals including gold last year that seems like quite a big name who has to save his Olympics at the 2nd/last tournament..

He competed in non-Olympic category in last wc, btw

1 minute ago, DaniSRB said:

He competed in non-Olympic category in last wc, btw

Oops, I didn't know there are non-Olympic weight classes in wrestling. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Sourian completely dominated Angelov for 4 minutes and half and then he ran out of gas and became harmless ! :( the fact he had to wrestle tough Amoyan before this while Angelov had a bye didn't help at all. Angelov apparently only worked on his stamina ! Korean guy and Tasmuradov threw him easily ! who could predict we qualify 11 out of 12 weights and the only one remaining is our probably best hope for gold in Rio ?! :wall:

I still think he can win the gold in Rio if he qualifies but that's a big big if now. I think sending him to another tournament is useless, he is broken now, Saman Abdevali is injured (or was injured at least) without him we don't have any other reliable wrestler to count on him for this quota ! likes of Mardani or Beheshti can't qualify the weight for Iran. only Sourian himself (not this exhausted broken Sourian) and Saman Abdevali can do it

Good that Amir Ghasemi saved the day, he was the 3rd choice behind Bashir and Mehdizadeh ! I wonder if they send him to Rio or he hast wrestle Bashir ?!

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Sourian completely dominated Angelov for 4 minutes and half and then he ran out of gas and became harmless ! :( the fact he had to wrestle tough Amoyan before this while Angelov had a bye didn't help at all. Angelov apparently only worked on his stamina ! Korean guy and Tasmuradov threw him easily ! who could predict we qualify 11 out of 12 weights and the only one remaining is our probably best hope for gold in Rio ?! :wall:

I still think he can win the gold in Rio if he qualifies but that's a big big if now. I think sending him to another tournament is useless, he is broken now, Saman Abdevali is injured (or was injured at least) without him we don't have any other reliable wrestler to count on him for this quota ! likes of Mardani or Beheshti can't qualify the weight for Iran. only Sourian himself (not this exhausted broken Sourian) and Saman Abdevali can do it

Good that Amir Ghasemi saved the day, he was the 3rd choice behind Bashir and Mehdizadeh ! I wonder if they send him to Rio or he hast wrestle Bashir ?!

does this tournament miss some good wrestlers in gr?