website statistics

[POLL] Do you think the AIN status for Russia and Belarus at Paris Olympics is justified? Road to Paris 2024

[POLL] Do you think the AIN status for Russia and Belarus at Paris Olympics is justified?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the AIN status for Russia and Belarus at Paris Olympics is Justified?

2. 2. Should there have been similar sanctions on Israel?

3. 3. Does the restriction of Russia and Belarus feel unfair ?

• Yes, I feel for the athletes who have been denied a fair opportunity to qualify
    • No
    • I don't care

Posted (edited)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is whether Russia and Belarusian athletes should be treated in the same way given the doping issue related specifically to one and not the other and that they have had different roles in the conflict with Ukraine. It should also be noted that Russia is also illegally occupying the territory of Georgia and Moldova in addition to Ukraine.

There's no doubt that the Belarusian leader Lukashenko is whole heartedly behind Russia's actions but there is evidence that opposition from both the Belarusian people and military has restricted their more direct involvement in Ukraine.

With this mind I would favour a full ban on Russia while allowing Belarusian athletes to compete under thr neutral flag.

Edited by Nickyc707

Politicians decide who gets to live what life and who doesn't. Even Germany was back at the Olympics in 1952 less than 7 years since World World II ended (which is three years less than Sochi 2014 happened).

Bottom line is, some lives are more important than others and this has always been the case.

I've been living on this world long enough to realize it's absolutely worthless to listen to any politicians and their reasoning why killing one person is more justified than killing thousands of others.

Just get on with the show...

Russia , Belarus and Israel should be suspended that is my opinion 

All of AIN athletes should be given the chance to participate , because these are athletes not fighters why they are banned from participating and taking part in opening ceremony and other stuff no reason for this IMO 

I don't have any problem with participation of Israeli athletes but under neutral flag also otherwise IOC has double standards which is really the case 

Absolutely unfair for Ukrainian affair. There are many wars in the world. GB had Malvinas and Gibraltar, France invaded New Caledonia, China occupy Tibet. Palestina and Israel are in war, both should be excluded. Sport and politics must be divided, and athletes have to compete in peace.

Absolutely rigth for state doping. But China also have state doping, with many swimmers tested positive. 

On 6/23/2024 at 5:58 AM, Nickyc707 said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is whether Russia and Belarusian athletes should be treated in the same way given the doping issue related specifically to one and not the other and that they have had different roles in the conflict with Ukraine. It should also be noted that Russia is also illegally occupying the territory of Georgia and Moldova in addition to Ukraine.

There's no doubt that the Belarusian leader Lukashenko is whole heartedly behind Russia's actions but there is evidence that opposition from both the Belarusian people and military has restricted their more direct involvement in Ukraine.

With this mind I would favour a full ban on Russia while allowing Belarusian athletes to compete under thr neutral flag.

I disagree, but it's not a bad argument.

As was pointed out repeatedly before Beijing 2022, there are LOTS of conflicts in the world - but relatively few of them are a straightforward invasion of one soverign nation of another, during an Olympic truce.

that said, how ROC was not simply expelled from IOC after Sochi, the mind boggles

6 hours ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

Absolutely unfair for Ukrainian affair. There are many wars in the world. GB had Malvinas and Gibraltar, France invaded New Caledonia, China occupy Tibet. Palestina and Israel are in war, both should be excluded. Sport and politics must be divided, and athletes have to compete in peace.

Absolutely rigth for state doping. But China also have state doping, with many swimmers tested positive. 

Britain's war in the Falklands was over before 1984 - moreover, it was British territory, and the vast majority of its citizens were adamant they wanted tor remain British. There's no comparison with Ukraine.

There hasn't been conflict over gibraltar since about 1700. 

Again, the French colonisation of the pacific was a long time ago. IF New Caledonians want independence they should get it.

Tibet is closer; and china's conrinuing threat to RepOChina/Taiwan is closer still as ROC have an NOC, albeit they use the Chinese Taipei name. Does hong Kong have enough functional independence anymore to justify an NOC?

Israel and Palestine is horrific, and I would not cry if both were told to sit this Games out. I genuinely fear a repeat of Munich 72'.

8 hours ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

Gibraltar is an odd choice given that its status is covered by the Treaty of Utrecht (1714), and there hasn't been a military conflict since the 18th Century which rather predates the modern OG.  

All British overseas territories have the right to self-determination if they want it. Gibraltar is the exception as it must be offered to Spain rather than granted independence under the terms of the Treaty. Nevertheless, it is up to the Gibraltarians whose descent is from a mixture of Andalusian Spanish (the largest group), Genoese Italian, Maltese, North African Jews, South Asians and British where their future lies.

Edited by Nickyc707

3 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Britain's war in the Falklands was over before 1984 - moreover, it was British territory, and the vast majority of its citizens were adamant they wanted tor remain British. There's no comparison with Ukraine.

There hasn't been conflict over gibraltar since about 1700. 

Again, the French colonisation of the pacific was a long time ago. IF New Caledonians want independence they should get it.

Tibet is closer; and china's conrinuing threat to RepOChina/Taiwan is closer still as ROC have an NOC, albeit they use the Chinese Taipei name. Does hong Kong have enough functional independence anymore to justify an NOC?

Israel and Palestine is horrific, and I would not cry if both were told to sit this Games out. I genuinely fear a repeat of Munich 72'.

Caledonian are asking for indipendence, or more autonomy. Is in state of emergency just now. Many nations are evacuating citizens from New Caledonia. And is just one case. 

Edited by Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo

3 hours ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

Caledonian are asking for indipendence, or more autonomy. Is in state of emergency just now. Many nations are evacuating citizens from New Caledonia. And is just one case. 

No matter what one's political leanings, even a brief google search shows that the political situation in New Caledonia is more complicated than simply them requesting independence and France refusing (they have a deeply divided electorate, much akin to Northern Ireland).

It's not remotely similar to what is happening in Ukraine or Israel/Palestine.

3 hours ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

No, Kalaks are asking for independence. Kalaks are indigenous people in NC, but they are the minority. Your argument is not helped by reliance on such poor analogies.