website statistics

Predict your top 3 for every Track Cycling Medals at Paris 2024

Nish

Predict your top 3 for every event for track cycling. Potentially using Nations Cup and World Champs from last year as your reference. 

Men’s Omnium

Women’s Omnium 

Men’s Madison

Women’s Madison

Men’s Team Pursuit 

Women’s Team Pursuit 

Men’s Keirin

Women’s Keirin

Men’s Sprint 

Women’s Sprint

Men’s Team Sprint

Women’s Team Sprint

Men’s Omnium

1. Aaron Gate - NZL

2. Dylan Bibic - CAN

3. Benjamin Thomas - FRA

Women’s Omnium 

1. Ally Wollaston - NZL

2. Katie Archibald - GBR 

3. Jennifer Valente - USA

42 minutes ago, Nish said:

Predict your top 3 for every event for track cycling. Potentially using Nations Cup and World Champs from last year as your reference. 

Men’s Omnium

1. Aaron Gate - NZL

2. Dylan Bibic - CAN

3. Benjamin Thomas - FRA

Women’s Omnium 

1. Ally Wollaston - NZL

2. Katie Archibald - GBR 

3. Jennifer Valente - USA

Men’s Madison

1. Aaron Gate 

Women’s Madison

Men’s Team Pursuit 

Women’s Team Pursuit 

Men’s Keirin

Women’s Keirin

Men’s Sprint 

Women’s Sprint

Men’s Team Sprint

Women’s Team Sprint

Lol, no bias at all. 

But in all seriousness there are a few countries where if everything went to plan they could win a serious chunk of the Golds.

I.e Take any event on their own, and GB are medal contenders in 9/12. All 6 Women's + 3 Men's Endurance. 

Obviously never going to happen but cycling is one of the sports where if you contend in one you contend in others for the bigger nations.

The only events I have followed

Womens team pursuit

1 New Zealand

2 GB

3 France 

Women’s Madison

1 GB

2 France

3 USA

Women’s omnium

1 Kopecky (Belgium)

2 Wollaston (NZ)

3 Gillespie (Ireland)

Completely biased with Lara Gillespie but a big result is coming for her!

This is almost impossible as for some nations it's very hard to know what the individuals will target on the endurance side.

My 2 cents:

Women's omnium - 1.Wollaston. 2. Kopecky 3. Archibald

Men's omnium - very open competition - Hayter Bibic Thomas and Gate will be near the top I'd have guessed. 

Women's pursuit - 1. NZ  2. GB 3. Aus [The 1/2 is a 50:50 toss up for me right now]

Men's pursuit - 1. GB 2. Italy 3. Denmark

Women's sprint - 1. GB 2. Germany 3. China

Men's sprint - 1. Australia 2. Netherlands 3. Japan

Individual sprint (W) - 1. Finucane 2. Friedrich 3. Gros/Hinze

Individual sprint (M) - 1. Harry L 2. Richardson 3. Ota

Madison - no idea on pairings yet

Keirin - who knows!

Women's Team Sprint:

1.) :GER

2.) :GBR

3.) :CHN

Reasoning:

image.png

Although not currently in a qualifying position, I think ultimately Canada will dislodge France after the last couple of qualifying events are completed. 

Based on the team's average times taken across the '23 season and the '24 qualifying events completed to date, GB and Germany are clearly ahead of the rest of the field. GB have generally come out on top in qualifying - the exceptions being the 2 continental championships - but I don't see any reason they wouldn't do so again in Paris.

China and Netherlands have managed to put a bit of distance over the rest of the field and whilst China currently have the edge, the Dutch team have been closing the gap and could establish themselves as the 3rd ranked team by the time we get to Paris.

For the rest of the field, there's not a huge difference in their average times. I am giving the nod to Canada and New Zealand because I think they have the potential to make the most progress before Paris. Mexico is probably the weakest team in the field - their position in the rankings list is flattered by their win in Milton last year against a weakened field.

In the head-to-heads in Round 1, there could be a surprise in the first 2 heats, but nothing I've seen in current form suggests that is really likely. 

In the medal races, much as I would like to call it for GB, I think the head-to-head currently favours Germany. I've posted elsewhere that I think the key to a GB win will be with Sophie Capewell as the second-line rider - if she can hand over to Finucane within 0.2 seconds, then the GB team would be favourite for the title.

In the bronze final, the head-to-head would be in favour of China - they came out on top in Glasgow at the worlds and repeated that in Hong Kong last week.

Women's Individual Sprint:

1.) :GBR Emma Finucane

2.) :FRA Mathilde Gros

3.) :GER Lea Sophie Friedrich

Reasoning:

Mapping this event is pretty challenging as the format of the competition will probably give rise to quite a few surprises and it's not impossible that we may see a medalist having to come through a repechage round.

Based on their qualifying performances across the '23 and '24 season, I think Finucane will post the fastest time ahead of Gross and Friedrich. I am expecting Gros (and to lesser extent Divine Kouame) to benefit from the home crowd advantage. There's also a good chance that I am being too optimistic with regards to Sophie Capewell who generally does well in the qualifying but then doesn't follow that up in the match racing.  

image.png

image.png