website statistics

Jeux de la Francophonie 2023

Totallympics

Secretary General of the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF) will not be attending the Games :zip:

Link: https://www.francsjeux.com/breves/louise-mushikiwabo-wont-be-coming

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Results system for those looking for it: https://jdf2023.microplustimingservices.com/#/general-schedule

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 7/7/2023 at 8:49 AM, Olympian1010 said:

:FRA has reportedly withdrawn from athletics and cycling.

They also withdrew from women’s basketball, but will send athletes in judo and wrestling.

On 3/10/2023 at 1:06 PM, Olympian1010 said:

CIJF announced the groups for the team sports a while back…

Women’s Basketball: 

Pool A - :CGO:LBN:COD:GUI

Pool B - :MAD:CIV:FRA:MAR

Pool C - :HAI:SEN:QUE:BEN

Pool D - :CHA:CMR:WLL:TUN

Entry list for women’s basketball has really taken a nosedive.

:CIV:FRA:GUI:MAR:QUE:WLL all withdrew or failed to send a team. Pools had to be redrawn/amended. Chad was also allowed to enter a team even though weren’t originally allocated one.

:HAI took a walkover loss today. Hopefully they show up for the next two games, but I fear another team has been lost. 

On 3/10/2023 at 1:06 PM, Olympian1010 said:

Men’s Football:

Pool A - :COD:CAN:CGO:MAD

Pool B - :FRA:TUN:NIG:BUR

Pool C - :SEN:BEN:CMR:MTN

Pool D - :MAR:CIV:LBN:GUI

Men’s football has also met a similar fate to women’s basketball

:CAN:CIV:FRA:MAD:MAR:TUN:MTN:GUI all withdrew or failed to send a team. :MLI was allowed to enter team, so groups were redrawn/amended with nine countries entered into the competition.

:LUX withdrew their entire team from the Games. :CAM:CPV:CYP:MTN:SRB also appear to be absent even though they indicated an interest in participating during the entries phase.

The medal table race will likely be more interesting in light of the withdrawals/no-shows. :CAN:FRA will need to do very well in judo/wrestling and the arts to leave themselves with any hope of a high finish. :ROU:MAR might be able to top the medal table if they’re able to capitalize on the absence of most of the other powerhouses in athletics, cycling, and table tennis. :SEN could also be a challenger for top spot on the medal table if they repeat their performance from six years ago. 

Still waiting on confirmation of entires in a few sports. If competitions are live-streamed somewhere, I’ll probably follow along. I like the concept of these Games, even if their future is uncertain.

I have been in the stadium before the Opening Ceremony. That was a very nice athmosphere, and something nice to experience for someone who has grown up in Europe. I have some pictures and videos, but internet is very bad and it is very difficult for me to upload them here unfortunately.