website statistics

Track Cycling at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

28 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I'm guessing that the point of having Omnium races is mostly to fill up the schedule.

The Omnium has been part of the world schedule since about 2009/2010 - probably in preparation for its introduction to the Olympics in 2012.

At Olympic level, the Omnium came in to replace both the individual pursuit and the points race in 2012 and balances the schedule between sprint and endurance events. 

The current format of the omnium is a bit samey - the introduction of the tempo race in place of the individual pursuit was a mistake in my opinion - but as with many of the sports we've seen so far this summer, there is a major problem with how the scoring is presented, particularly in the points race. 

What was the initial format again? Scratch, Flying Lap, Elim race, KM TT, something individual pursuit-like and Points Race, right?

I don't mind the Points Race format in itself, it makes for a more exciting finish, but now we have four very similar races (only Elim race is kinda different), which is not great. I'd rather have one of the TT's back but they are not really exciting for the crowd.

17 minutes ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

I don't mind the Points Race format in itself, it makes for a more exciting finish, but now we have four very similar races (only Elim race is kinda different), which is not great. I'd rather have one of the TT's back but they are not really exciting for the crowd.

Reminds me of omnium events during UCI Track Nations Cup in Indonesia. 90% of the crowd have no idea about track cycling, so they do not understand at all what is the difference of scratch/points/tempo and why this should be exciting. But elimination race is very intuitive and the crowd easily engage with the race (even cheering for the Hong Kong rider who barely survived elimination for 3 or 4 consecutive times). When the points race started, quite a lot of people went back home :lol:

5 hours ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

The problem is only one. Track lenght. 250 meters are too short. When tracks are 333,33 meters long, every competition was much better: madison, points race (then, omnium), sprint, was much more clear and spectacular.  

I don't agree, longer tracks only mean boring endurance races, with no chance to gain laps

basically, the point/lap-based races will only be about the intermediate sprints

no way, it's the jury (and the technology helping them) that must be good enough to manage this kind of events

1 hour ago, Griff88 said:

Reminds me of omnium events during UCI Track Nations Cup in Indonesia. 90% of the crowd have no idea about track cycling, so they do not understand at all what is the difference of scratch/points/tempo and why this should be exciting. But elimination race is very intuitive and the crowd easily engage with the race (even cheering for the Hong Kong rider who barely survived elimination for 3 or 4 consecutive times). When the points race started, quite a lot of people went back home :lol:

The elimination race should be an olympic event, it is more exciting than most of the other events (maybe excluding sprint and keirin). It always baffles me that many federations have no clue what people want to watch. Make events closer/less predictable/easier to follow and more people will watch. Maybe some football representatives bribed officials of other sports in order to get them to make their own sports as unwatchable as possible -> Makes football more popular ...

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The Omnium has been part of the world schedule since about 2009/2010 - probably in preparation for its introduction to the Olympics in 2012.

At Olympic level, the Omnium came in to replace both the individual pursuit and the points race in 2012 and balances the schedule between sprint and endurance events. 

The current format of the omnium is a bit samey - the introduction of the tempo race in place of the individual pursuit was a mistake in my opinion - but as with many of the sports we've seen so far this summer, there is a major problem with how the scoring is presented, particularly in the points race. 

the tenure of UCI in those years made a disaster after another to track cycling by eliminating historical races and replacing them with pure sh*t (like omnium)

they should just get rid of that and go back (and forth) with the standalone races (elimination, points)

8 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I knew she was good but I didn't expect her to be this good at such a young age.

I think it is at least 90 % the bike. She was completely lost at european championships not too long ago. She also never did anything remotely impressive at junior level.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

11 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think it is at least 90 % the bike. She was completely lost at european championships not too long ago. She also never did anything remotely impressive at junior level.

It's the same bike as she rode at the Europeans

Would also point out that she was silver medalist at European Junior level in 2019 and won bronze at the Junior worlds in the same year. Not sure how that doesn't register as "remotely impressive"

Edited by Rafa Maciel