website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

31 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Canada finished the event with another fifth place (due to injury) 

At least you have Deguchi and Klimkait. Meanwhile Poland is light years removed from even having a quarter of what Kubacki & Maksymow looked like :wacko:

Day #6, Medal Matches

women's -78kg

Gold Medal match: :ISR Inbar Lanir vs :FRA Audrey Tscheumeo

Bronze Medal match #1: :CHN Ma Zhenzhao vs :NED Guusje Steenhuis

Bronze Medal match #2: :JPN Shori Hamada vs :ITA Alice Bellandi

men's -100kg

Gold Medal match: :WHT Arman Adamian (RUS) vs :CZE Lukas Krpalek

Bronze Medal match #1: :GEO Ilia Sulamanidze vs :AZE Zelym Kotsoiev

Bronze Medal match #2: :ISR Peter Paltchik vs :CAN Shady Elnahas

and came the day when I got so, so disappointed that I'm tempted to abandon the competition...

you just can't lose a match like Bellandi did against Lanir (who deserves all the credits because she was ready to take advantage of any mistake the Italian made).

you - just- can't. point.

this event should have been a safe gold medal, especially without :GER Wagner at the start.

this turns our championship from good to insufficient (even if Bellandi wins bronze and helps the team to establish the new record of 4 medals in a single world championship).

So :GBR bows out of the World Championships without a medal and after a pretty mediocre performance by our "star" names. But, by my calculations, I don't think we have lost any of our projected quotas either (and we may actually gain one when next rankings are released). 

Disappointing performances from Renshall and both girls in the 78Kg whilst Moorhead did what he needed to do in the 81Kg division. There were a couple of missed opportunities across the team - Petgrave should have been able to come through his first round bout as should Lele Nairne.

Best performances came from Yeats-Brown in the 70Kg division to move us into a more comfortable qualifying position but was pleased that Lovell-Hewitt was able to take advantage of getting the nod for the squad by winning his first round bout.

OMG!!! youngster :ITA Asya Tavano threw the undisputed world no.1 :FRA Romane Dicko out in the 2nd round of the women's super-heavyweights :yikes:

unfortunately, after 1 more win, she did waste the chance in the quarterfinals ve the modest :CHN Xu and in the repechage round vs :BRA Souza.

finally, it's a unexpected and very important 7th place for her, but I have the feeling of a slightly bitter end for what could have been a glorious, historical day. :cry:

and however, that wasn't the only surprising result of the morning on the women's side.

also the 2nd favourite, :TUR Sayit went out early.

meanwhile, on the women's side, :FRA Teddy Riner is back in the GMM after surviving a very complicated match vs :JPN Saito in the quarterfinals.

unfortunately for him, the Japanese guy after 5 mins of play ran out of gas and accumulated 3 shido, costing him the chance to upset the great Frenchman.

Day #7, Medal Matches

women's +78kg

Gold Medal match: :JPN Akira Sone vs :FRA Julia Tolofua

Bronze Medal match #1: :BRA Beatriz Souza vs :KOR Kim Ha Yun

Bronze Medal match #2: :ISR Raz Hershko vs :CHN Xu Shiyan

men's +100kg

Gold Medal match: :WHT Inal Tasoev (RUS) vs :FRA Teddy Riner

Bronze Medal match #1: :JPN Kokoro Kageura vs :UZB Alisher Yusupov

Bronze Medal match #2: :BRA Rafael Silva vs :TJK Temur Rakhimov

All the Dutch contenders out already. Two bronze medals in the end, but for some reason I always expect more from the Dutch squad than the results. Judo can be a cruel sport where a moment of weakness takes you out of the tournament completely. I had hoped for more from especially Van Dijke, Polling, Korrel and Meyer/Snippe.

On the bright side Van Lieshout had a great debut championship!