website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

48 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Online chess is legitimately the most popular esports on that list xD

I know how popular it is , but since the esport is exactly the same as the real life sport isn't the "e" part completely redundant?

Edited by Dragon
terrible grammar

I'm not familiar with most of those games but I guess the idea was to pick the most "realistic" videogames that have to do with some of the sports under the umbrella of a IOC recognized IF.   

They must have wanted to avoid something like ISSF organizing a competition of a FPS game with cartoon characters or people dying of headshots :lol: 

32 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Probably not in Ukraine though...

Ukraine is one of the traditional powers in Counter Strike. So is Russia, obviously, but unlike all those fake esports (minus Grand Turismo) CS is actually popular in Ukraine.

32 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Ukraine is one of the traditional powers in Counter Strike. So is Russia, obviously, but unlike all those fake esports (minus Grand Turismo) CS is actually popular in Ukraine.

The IOC will never authorize any game with a war component to be an official Olympic Esport. It just looks so wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Some notes from today’s IOC EB presser…

:AFG remains on watch by the IOC, as does :IRI (both for access to sport for “women and young girls”)

:GUA remains suspended for governance issues.

:IND making progress on governance issues. IOC still has some reservations about the appointment of a CEO.

IFAF (American Football) will be recommended for full recognition at the IOC Session.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Lombardi/Taranto :ITA looking to host the Winter YOG in 2028 @phelps @Gianlu33 @Pablita (other users from :ITA :p)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

IOC does not have any problems with the sport of boxing, or with boxers, but with the IBA (according to the IOC spokesperson). This matches largely the rumors/reporting @Dragon had picked up on earlier.

On 3/2/2023 at 5:45 PM, LDOG said:

I'm not familiar with most of those games but I guess the idea was to pick the most "realistic" videogames that have to do with some of the sports under the umbrella of a IOC recognized IF.   

They must have wanted to avoid something like ISSF organizing a competition of a FPS game with cartoon characters or people dying of headshots :lol: 

So Angry Birds is out?  :question: