website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

30 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Why can't they have it in spring/summer 2021, if things continue to be so bad?

Surely they can't be thinking of canceling the Olympics, because there are some Worlds or other events in 2021.. 

I just wouldn’t be interested at that point. I love the Olympics, but there’s already enough multi-sports games next year. If the Olympics was to cancel those, I probably would have a tough time watching the Olympics.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I just wouldn’t be interested at that point. I love the Olympics, but there’s already enough multi-sports games next year. If the Olympics was to cancel those, I probably would have a tough time watching the Olympics.

Now that's one of the least important issues, at least for me. Nobody in the general public is going to care about the South East Caribbean Junior Games or something anyway, let alone during Olympics (postponed or not).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Yeah, Olympics are way too important so the other global championships would have to work around the postponement - the last Olympics which took place outside of the usual window was Sydney 2000 (September) and let's say athletics would probably move their WChamps to September next year and just make the Diamond League finish way earlier instead.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

If the Olympics were to get postponed and were at the same time as another multi-sports games, I have a pretty good feeling you would have a tougher time watching those multi-sports games and less of a tough time watching the Olympics.  Sucks for those other events, but if there's no alternative, that's the way it has to be.

1 minute ago, dcro said:

I mean, not a single remotely serious athlete would care more about some random regional games than the Olympics. Why should we then?

Exactly.  I have a feeling some of those events would move just to get out of the way of the Olympics.  The OLYMPICS.

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

If the Olympics were to get postponed and were at the same time as another multi-sports games, I have a pretty good feeling you would have a tougher time watching those multi-sports games and less of a tough time watching the Olympics.  Sucks for those other events, but if there's no alternative, that's the way it has to be.

Right, but I also do think the hosts of those games/events should be punished for having a better date. I’m also not a fan of an Olympics not held during the Olympiad. I also maintain my viewpoint that there’s no reason this virus should disrupt the games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but I also do think the hosts of those games/events should be punished for having a better date. I’m also not a fan of an Olympics not held during the Olympiad. I also maintain my viewpoint that there’s no reason this virus should disrupt the games.

An Olympiad is a period of 4 years.  Hosting them next summer still falls under the same Olympiad.

And I hate to tell you this, but I don't think the virus cares about your viewpoint.  I hope and pray that the Olympics don't need to be cancelled (also because that would be better for the safety of the planet), but that decision won't be based on our views.  It'll be based on what's doing with the virus.

42 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Every Olympics is held during 'the Olympiad', since it's always 'the Olympiad' :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I really feel like we will start hearing Eric Garcetti say "l.a Is prepared to host if Tokyo cant" and offer like a swap to change 2028 to Tokyo.  And to be honest he is kinda right.  Everything is pretty much ready.  At least with venue existence.   Though logistically it will be a nightmare.