website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Only in Canada can you have multiple time defending champs in a new event and then go onto not win the gold at the Olympics

Pretty clear that :USA Harrison has been improving leaps and bounds. I don't believe she's ever raced head to head with LVL before, at least since becoming world champion.

Either way, the good news is that there is no Harrison in the C-2. Based on what we've seen in the C-1 I'd say the C-2 looks pretty promising.

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Canada is now 0-3 in wrestling. I have no idea when's the last time Canada hasn't won a single wrestling match at the Olympics but it must be an eternity.

doping is unbelievably strong in wrestling right now, the world wrestling federation is beyond corrupt, comparable to what the weightlifting federation was

5 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Canada is now 0-3 in wrestling. I have no idea when's the last time Canada hasn't won a single wrestling match at the Olympics but it must be an eternity.

Desi does have a decent shot at a repechage match 

7 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Dhesi looked good but couldn't expect the defending champion to lose

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Dhesi looked good but couldn't expect the defending champion to lose

I feel like Dhesi’s a rising talent but the American beat the Turkish wrestler so no repechage for Dhesi. He’s 25 and I expect to see him around for awhile. 

Here are Canada's medalists so far with last World Championships performance for that event

Gold: 

Maggie Mac Neil (gold)

Maude Charron (second, among competitors that contested the event in Tokyo, but she was ranked #1 coming in)

Women's eights rowing (fourth)

Andre De Grasse 200m (second)

Silver:

Women's 4x100 freestyle swimming (third)

3m synchro women diving (second)

Kylie Masse 100m back (first)

Kylie Masse 200m back (third)

Laurence Vincent Lapointe (first*, in 2018 the last worlds she competed at)

Bronze:

Jessica Klimkait 57 kg judo (first)

Softball team (third)

Catherine Beauchemin-Pinard (No placement in 2019, but ranked 4th coming into tournament)

Penny Oleksiak 200m free (sixth)

Caileigh Filmer and Hillary Janssens women's pairs rowing (third)

Women's 4x100 medley team (third)

Andre De Grasse 200 m (third)

13 of 16 medals also won medals at their last worlds, would be 14 considering the unique circumstance in weightlifting. The other two (women's eights or CBP, finished fourth or were ranked fourth coming into the games). So NONE of these medals are surprises at all. Usually there is a surprise or two among the medals, hoping one can still arise.