website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

Ukrainians aside, I just don't get why athletes want fellow athletes banned. I'd go Andy Murray style and say whatever the outcome is fine as I get both sides, but to ask publicly for a ban of a rival just because of its nationality in a war that doesn't even concern your own nation directly... 

To be fair, there are loads of reasons why someone would not back a “fellow athlete” and would want to see them banned. 

For some, this war is enough. It’s OK that you don’t agree with that but expecting athletes to not have opinions is a bit much IMO

3 hours ago, dodge said:

To be fair, there are loads of reasons why someone would not back a “fellow athlete” and would want to see them banned. 

For some, this war is enough. It’s OK that you don’t agree with that but expecting athletes to not have opinions is a bit much IMO

I didn't say they shouldn't have opinions. I say I don't get it. It goes against the basic principle of competition that is the nature of sport. But to each his own.

:LAT Olympic Committee has stripped the funding for two cyclists and three tennis players for competing on the same tour as Russians. For Ostapenko it's 1,700 Euro which is laughable for her standards of WTA purse but it's bad news for the ITF-level compatriots Vismane and Semenistaja who don't make a great living playing ITFs all the time :wacko:

On the same topic, our governement threatened our Ice Hockey federation to stop reimburse the costs for the preparation for and participation at the World Championships in case our team will use any Slovak player from KHL (The Governement relied on the new special clause in the contract with the hockey federation which prohibite the use of state money to support eventual slovak KHLers)

It´s not like our hockey federation will feel it, they have enough money to pay themselves a whole year of preparation for half of European national teams even in the Emirates if they wish :p

anyway, even if our federation did not said it openly, I will be extremely surprised to see KHLer(s) in our team...that would just accumulate problems, it is still definitely not the time to open these doors

https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/7z8LL69/slovaci-z-khl-nemozu-hrat-na-ms-v-hokeji-za-statne-peniaze-ministerstvo-nebudeme-ich-podporovat/

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

:LAT Olympic Committee has stripped the funding for two cyclists and three tennis players for competing on the same tour as Russians. For Ostapenko it's 1,700 Euro which is laughable for her standards of WTA purse but it's bad news for the ITF-level compatriots Vismane and Semenistaja who don't make a great living playing ITFs all the time :wacko:

"You're not allowed to breath the same air as russians, quit your job if necessary" 

Madness has become absolute in the baltics :lol: 

Olympic chiefs have urged the British government to respect the [revenue model and income of the IOC] might be the more apt title here…

I do wonder about this particular IOC statement: “In accordance with this, Olympic sponsors are not involved in this decision-making process.”

If you’re a TOP partner not wanting to be associated with RUS/BLR, might this make you question the partnership? It seems brash on the IOC’s part, but maybe they’re very confident in the strength of those relationships, or have already discussed this with sponsors.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela