website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

ITF officially allows Russian & Belarussian players to compete as neutral athletes in Paris.

Meanwhile where are those people who preached the liberal democracies will boycott the Olympics? :dunno:

https://www.itftennis.com/en/news-and-media/articles/itf-statement-eligibility-of-russian-belarusian-athletes-at-paris-2024/

As i get it ,the Russians at the very least won't be in Paris because the heads over there refuse to go through another olympics without their flag being there.I assume some belarussians will be there,[they in particular are in the Pentahtlon world cup right now as''neutral athletes''] since the main issue is Russia,i would expect no one to go through on principles and actually boycott,Lithuania certainly will not now.[Not that it looked like anyone  leading the sport stuff wanted to do it anyway]. 

Edited by Biathlonfan

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Tennis was always going to allow them to compete if they were allowed to do so.

And for tennis I think it makes some sense, the players are very loosely tied to their national federation and the Russian and Bielorissuan players on tour all seem to live in the US, the Caribbeans or in Western Europe anyway.

Edited by NearPup

10 hours ago, NearPup said:

And for tennis I think it makes some sense, the players are very loosely tied to their national federation and the Russian and Bielorissuan players on tour all seem to live in the US, the Caribbeans or in Western Europe anyway.

very true.  I wonder if they will allow Russians and Belorussian doubles entrants.  I would think that would fall under the IOC direction to not allow team entries, but maybe not.

8 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

:USA Ben Shelton is apparently likely to skip the Olympics, choosing to prioritise preparation for the US hard court season. 

Hardly surprising given his record on clay courts (and at Roland Garros)

On 3/7/2024 at 9:09 AM, evil betty said:

very true.  I wonder if they will allow Russians and Belorussian doubles entrants.  I would think that would fall under the IOC direction to not allow team entries, but maybe not.

Reuters asked that and ITF said yes, but I haven't found anything official on that

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1144165/russian-tennis-still-banned-paris-2024

This is very interesting article 😅😅😅. ITF has allowed Russian and Belorussian athletes to compete in Paris. But at the same time, non of them can do that. As one of the most important rule is to represent your country in Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup. And They weren't allowed to participate since 2021. So what now? They will try to apply for an exception? Would it actually work? I am wondering, is ITF playing this game to give the chance to make it to the Games but at the same time, they will find out that they won't make it? 

11 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1144165/russian-tennis-still-banned-paris-2024

This is very interesting article 😅😅😅. ITF has allowed Russian and Belorussian athletes to compete in Paris. But at the same time, non of them can do that. As one of the most important rule is to represent your country in Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup. And They weren't allowed to participate since 2021. So what now? They will try to apply for an exception? Would it actually work? I am wondering, is ITF playing this game to give the chance to make it to the Games but at the same time, they will find out that they won't make it? 

They are obviously going to get an exception. The fact that Russia/Belarus were not allowed to participate will make it very easy to get one.

"How could I get the requirements if my nation could not participate? I would have participated if my nation was allowed to do so."

ITF barely enforces the requirements anyway.