website statistics

Men's Basketball Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Just now, Biathlonfan said:

watch me be completely right in july ,and even if i'm not,what does it matter ? look at the draw,we're not making it out of the group anyway. 

But wouldn’t you be happy even to make it to the Olympics? That’s a huge accomplishment, considering a few quality teams get left out every quad. 

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

I think you’re being way too pessimistic about your chances. In terms of talent, Lithuania is a level above Italy. But OK.

I wouldn't say that...LTU is way more physical than ITA, they have bigger bodies (that's why we always struggle against them), but if we look at pure talent, there's not so much difference, only Sabonis can be considered on another level

1 minute ago, phelps said:

I wouldn't say that...LTU is way more physical than ITA, they have bigger bodies (that's why we always struggle against them), but if we look at pure talent, there's not so much difference, only Sabonis can be considered on another level

Maybe I am underrating Italy… but yeah Sabonis will probably be the difference maker (assuming he wants to play for Lithuania at the OQT) should both of them advance to the final match. 

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Maybe I am underrating Italy… but yeah Sabonis will probably be the difference maker (assuming he wants to play for Lithuania at the OQT) should both of them advance to the final match. 

ITA is a simple team to read...if we can score 3-pt shots with high percentage, we can win against every team (but the USA), as we showed at the last Europeans vs :SRB (with Jokic) and :FRA (we basically threw the match away in the last minute with 0/4 from the charity stripe when we laready had it in the bag)

otherwise we can lose against any other team (see :UKR at the last Europeans or :DOM at the last world cup)

Edited by phelps

16 minutes ago, Josh said:

But wouldn’t you be happy even to make it to the Olympics? That’s a huge accomplishment, considering a few quality teams get left out every quad. 

Josh,i need to make it clear at this point that i'm not even speaking personally here,because i'm not a basketball stan.BUT,do you realize how many  of them here would wanna atleast maim you for that take ? it is an insult to them,that that could be considered an accomplishment to our national team nowadays. the team won bronze three times,should of atleast made the final in 2004,but whatever,still made the semis,on 2008,won the world bronze in 2010[that may be the most unexpected medal of all times here, from any sport,NO ONE here thought there was a inkling of chance for that.]the amount of history basketball has,and the team is now at a point,were players are totally not seeing any issue in saying ''LOSING TO ESTONIA IN AN OFFICIAL MATCH ISN'T A TRAGEDY'' it might not be a tragedy but it sure as hell shows how the current player standarts and expectations have went to the toilet.And now personally speaking,in any other olympic sport,yes i understand someone from here being just happy to be there and not expecting too much from themselves,at least for their first games[now i'm a rare case in which i'm fine with that,ask about anyone else who cares about olympics in Lithuania how they wiew those kind of athletes in their minds,you will be stunned at the vitriol]But basketball,absolutely not ,it is not an accomplishment in my mind,for our team to make it to the olympics,it absolutely shouldn't be,and the fact that it can now be considered to be one,shows just how much we have declined in basketball from our glory days which ended absolutely at 2015 as far as the national team goes. 

Edited by Biathlonfan

@Biathlonfan sorry I completely misread the pool regulations :facepalm:

Lithuania (should they qualify) would have a pretty good chance at making it into the quarterfinals. I struggle to see them advancing into the semifinals, but it’s possible. 

Edited by Josh

4 hours ago, phelps said:

given the swimming schedule (only 1 final colliding...and perfectly set at a time that should be in the interval of the basketball game), USA vs SRB (July 28th) might well be at 9 p.m. Paris time (3 p.m. ET in the USA)

There's still all the semis at swimming, so NBC might want to stick with that the whole way through.  That's why I think it might slot better for NBC is the USA-SRB game is at 11:15am ET.  But that would be an interesting idea to go straight from swimming to basketball and then have the additional final at halftime.

16 hours ago, Biathlonfan said:

Josh,i need to make it clear at this point that i'm not even speaking personally here,because i'm not a basketball stan.BUT,do you realize how many  of them here would wanna atleast maim you for that take ? it is an insult to them,that that could be considered an accomplishment to our national team nowadays. the team won bronze three times,should of atleast made the final in 2004,but whatever,still made the semis,on 2008,won the world bronze in 2010[that may be the most unexpected medal of all times here, from any sport,NO ONE here thought there was a inkling of chance for that.]the amount of history basketball has,and the team is now at a point,were players are totally not seeing any issue in saying ''LOSING TO ESTONIA IN AN OFFICIAL MATCH ISN'T A TRAGEDY'' it might not be a tragedy but it sure as hell shows how the current player standarts and expectations have went to the toilet.And now personally speaking,in any other olympic sport,yes i understand someone from here being just happy to be there and not expecting too much from themselves,at least for their first games[now i'm a rare case in which i'm fine with that,ask about anyone else who cares about olympics in Lithuania how they wiew those kind of athletes in their minds,you will be stunned at the vitriol]But basketball,absolutely not ,it is not an accomplishment in my mind,for our team to make it to the olympics,it absolutely shouldn't be,and the fact that it can now be considered to be one,shows just how much we have declined in basketball from our glory days which ended absolutely at 2015 as far as the national team goes. 

Lithuania is a basketball country and basketball is no1 sport but it's still a country with a population of under 3 mn people so you should be realistic. Basketball is getting more global every year and for small countries like Lithuania and Serbia no matter their history in the sport it should be a pretty significant achievement of just qualifying among 12 teams. 

3 hours ago, nenad said:

Lithuania is a basketball country and basketball is no1 sport but it's still a country with a population of under 3 mn people so you should be realistic. Basketball is getting more global every year and for small countries like Lithuania and Serbia no matter their history in the sport it should be a pretty significant achievement of just qualifying among 12 teams. 

When the Serbian national basketball goes a decade without any achievements and you still believe this,fine,suit yourself,but right now,that is absolutely a hollow take.Again,not even a basketball stan,but even i refuse to accept that them making the olympics is some kind of achievment,how many more years do the fans need to wait for things to change  ? Btw,as far as number 1 sport ?,i can assure you that with every year,that has been less and less certain here, two more missed olympics,and even the biggest fans will stop caring,it's not like we don't have sports where people at the highest level actually care to try to achieve something,by all means in a normal country,most people should of stopped caring After the not making it to Tokyo disaster,and this nation should of rightfully been swimming and athletics land now.and jesus i see this biase attitude with Lithuanian basketball experts ''oh the losses mean nothing,they will make the olympics'' when they shown absolutely no signs of making the olympics,i almost want a disaster both with the olympics and european qualifiers,maybe people will finally wake up put of fantasyland.Anyway my point being i reject your belief,since litereally no one here sees it that way and i don't know why you responded the exact way josh did  or what you mean by realism when i have now stated like three times that i don't even believe they will make the olympics. 

On 3/20/2024 at 3:25 AM, Josh said:

Realistically speaking only 8 of those teams have a realistic chance at actually qualifying. 

Spain in OQT Spain, Montenegro/Latvia in OQT Latvia, Slovenia/Greece/ Dominican Republic in OQT Greece, and Italy/Lithuania in OQT Puerto Rico. 

I would want remind that Spain can't be too sure about the spot, the Bahamas might make an big surprise and qualify if their NBA players will play at the tournament. Also it's 99% sure that San Antonio Spurs will let Jeremy Sochan to play for us at this OQT + if Igor Milicić Jr will play too and Balcerowski/Ponitka/Zyskowski all will be in good form then maybe we can make some surprise too.