website statistics

Men's Basketball Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 hours ago, prso1000 said:

Who says that with the NBA players Canada would be better. It is a team sport. I think Canada is a good team, but far away from being a favorite Independent in which group they are. My personal view: 1/4 finals is a success, everything better (semis or more) a big surprise, but not reaching 1/4 finals is very realistic too. 

i quoted the wrong post😂

actually it was for @Josh

You do make a good first point, but I don’t think it’s a similar case for Canada. Murray and Wiggins aren’t just any NBA players, but decent ones at that. They’re also proven national team players, Wiggins was Canada’s best player at the Tokyo Olympic Qualification Tournament. Wiggins and Murray are good enough that they can make a huge difference in a game. As mentioned, I wouldn’t be surprised if Canada misses out on the quarterfinals entirely, but saying that Canada winning a medal would be a “big surprise” makes me laugh. Their expectations are much higher than that.

Edited by Josh

4 hours ago, Josh said:

I wouldn’t disagree with you that Canada could miss out on the quarterfinals, but only because we have a tough draw. I don’t think I’m overrating them in the slightest, we won bronze at last years FIBA World Cup while missing key NBA players like Andrew Wiggins, and Jamal Murray. I can guarantee you that if they had been placed in OQT Puerto Rico’s group Canada probably survived as one of the top third place finishers at worst. South Sudan is by far the weakest team in the tournament, they wouldn’t have qualified if there wasn’t an African quota. Third place finisher in that group has a very high chance to progress to the quarterfinals, assuming they can demolish South Sudan or at least by a reasonable margin. 

@nenad what are your thoughts on the draw? I’m curious ;)

We had a good draw because this draw means we can't get USA in QF. There should be no argument that the group A is the toughest group. However, it would be stupid for me to comment further because we don't have full groups because of OQTs and we don't know which rosters will show up. Will Jokić show up for Serbia, will Murray show up for Canada, which of all these US allstars will eventually play and which players will be out because of injuries. But, sure, at first look, Canada's group is tougher than ours for sure. 

But, also, to be clear, if everyone's healthy and everyone agrees to play I'll take Serbia over Canada and France for silver any day of the week. Jokić is just so good and other players know how to play as a team more than Canada's and France's.. 

12 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Tough to tell what the group of death is with 24 teams in contention for 4 spots.

Do we know the schedule of games yet?  Some in the YouTube comments seemed to indicate that won't be coming for awhile

Realistically speaking only 8 of those teams have a realistic chance at actually qualifying. 

Spain in OQT Spain, Montenegro/Latvia in OQT Latvia, Slovenia/Greece/ Dominican Republic in OQT Greece, and Italy/Lithuania in OQT Puerto Rico. 

Edited by Josh

3 hours ago, Josh said:

Realistically speaking only 8 of those teams have a realistic chance at actually qualifying. 

Spain in OQT Spain, Montenegro/Latvia in OQT Latvia, Slovenia/Greece/ Dominican Republic in OQT Greece, and Italy/Puerto Rico in OQT Puerto Rico. 

No lithuania?

5 hours ago, Amata said:

FIBA's consideration of Russia's men's basketball team for Paris 2024 qualification underscores the anticipation surrounding their potential participation, pending April's decision.

sorry, but there's no way they will ever get an invitation for any team event :finger:

their athletes won't even take part in the Opening Ceremony :evil:

yesterday's new updated document is well clear:

https://olympics.com/ioc/news/ain-eligibility-review-panel-established-by-ioc-eb-paris-games-time-protocol-elements-agreed-on

in particular, point #2

"Teams of athletes with a Russian or Belarusian passport will not be considered.:pope:

15 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Would love for some start times as well, but I'll take it.  Serbia-USA that first Sunday will be a good watch

they will be decided later, when all the teams will be known

daily start times are: 11 a.m. 1.30 p.m. 5.15 p.m. and 9 p.m. local

16 minutes ago, phelps said:

sorry, but there's no way they will ever get an invitation for any team event :finger:

their athletes won't even take part in the Opening Ceremony :evil:

yesterday's new updated document is well clear:

https://olympics.com/ioc/news/ain-eligibility-review-panel-established-by-ioc-eb-paris-games-time-protocol-elements-agreed-on

in particular, point #2

"Teams of athletes with a Russian or Belarusian passport will not be considered.:pope:

them not being at the opening ceremony makes zero sense,you already allowed them to be at the olympics,is this really supposed to be some big win that they won't be at the parade  ?

Edited by Biathlonfan

1 minute ago, Biathlonfan said:

them not being at the opening ceremony makes zero sense,you already allowed them to be at the olympics,is this really supposed to be some big win that they won't be at the parade  ?

no, but this is what the IOC stated...

however, they won't be part of the Parade of Nations, but they will be present at the Ceremony (I have no idea in which role...will they enter somehow "hidden" to the audience? will they be just spectators? I don't know)