website statistics

Men's Basketball Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

13 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I disagree, Group A has the potential to have 4 of the top 10 teams at the Fiba World Cup, one must be eliminated at this stage.

So do I. South Sudan is the weakest team in the draw, and it’ll probably stay that way when the OQTs are finished. Lithuania, Italy, and Puerto Rico are good teams but none of them are as good as Canada, or even Greece/Slovenia (the most likely Olympic qualifiers from that group)

Edited by Josh

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

yup :CAN gets the group of death

You can't say or claim that status UNTIL you know the two Euro Teams that will join your group. Besides, now Team Canada has the opportunity to prove their FIBA World Cup Bronze Medal was not a FLUKE!

2. Spain, 3. Germany, 4. Serbia, 5. Australia, & 6. Latvia all have more to prove than Canada. Spain & Germany have the most pressure on them of all of the European Teams. Spain has to make up for their FIBA world Cup Debacle and Germany has to prove their Gold Medal was not a FLUKE. Serbia choked against Germany but they did not have Jokić. Australia is hanging on for dear life and they cannot afford to finish 6th or lower. Latvia is playing with house money with little to no pressure outside of their own country. Canada's youth player pipe line is DRYING up and their current roster might prove to be a Golden generation.

Edited by Sindo

Just now, Benolympique said:

I'm sorry, but you overrated Canada, in my opinion they will not make it through the quarter-finals and I persist with my litanies. Serbia in the same group is still the three best teams in the world.

I wouldn’t disagree with you that Canada could miss out on the quarterfinals, but only because we have a tough draw. I don’t think I’m overrating them in the slightest, we won bronze at last years FIBA World Cup while missing key NBA players like Andrew Wiggins, and Jamal Murray. I can guarantee you that if they had been placed in OQT Puerto Rico’s group Canada probably survived as one of the top third place finishers at worst. South Sudan is by far the weakest team in the tournament, they wouldn’t have qualified if there wasn’t an African quota. Third place finisher in that group has a very high chance to progress to the quarterfinals, assuming they can demolish South Sudan or at least by a reasonable margin. 

@nenad what are your thoughts on the draw? I’m curious ;)

1 hour ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

For Italy, all depends from naturalized. We have a good squad, without a center. If we can catch a good player, we can compete for a good place. If not, in Paris will be LTU for sure. 

there's a chance we might have Drew Eubanks ready for the tournament in San Juan

more difficult to fill the documents so to have Dante Di Vincenzo (AKA Big Ragù)

but tbh, we need more a player like Eubanks, even if Di Vincenzo is on another level, generally speaking

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Tough to tell what the group of death is with 24 teams in contention for 4 spots.

Do we know the schedule of games yet?  Some in the YouTube comments seemed to indicate that won't be coming for awhile

https://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/men/2024/games

Edited by phelps

1 hour ago, Mr. Cam said:

You can't say or claim that status UNTIL you know the two Euro Teams that will join your group. Besides, now Team Canada has the opportunity to prove their FIBA World Cup Bronze Medal was not a FLUKE!

2. Spain, 3. Germany, 4. Serbia, 5. Australia, & 6. Latvia all have more to prove than Canada. Spain & Germany have the most pressure on them of all of the European Teams. Spain has to make up for their FIBA world Cup Debacle and Germany has to prove their Gold Medal was not a FLUKE. Serbia choked against Germany but they did not have Jokić. Australia is hanging on for dear life and they cannot afford to finish 6th or lower. Latvia is playing with house money with little to no pressure outside of their own country. Canada's youth player pipe line is DRYING up and their current roster might prove to be a Golden generation.

Who says that with the NBA players Canada would be better. It is a team sport. I think Canada is a good team, but far away from being a favorite Independent in which group they are. My personal view: 1/4 finals is a success, everything better (semis or more) a big surprise, but not reaching 1/4 finals is very realistic too. 

i quoted the wrong post😂

actually it was for @Josh

Edited by prso1000

34 minutes ago, phelps said:

Would love for some start times as well, but I'll take it.  Serbia-USA that first Sunday will be a good watch

Look I'm definitely more of an NBA fan than an international basketball fan because you know Ireland and our recent historic triumph at the european championships for small countries doesn't really do it for me but this thread is way too low on Canada. They have a very complete roster top to bottom and sure star power matters less than it does in the NBA but Shai Gilgeous Alexander and Jamal Murray are two of the most reliable bucket getters in the world. Canada has a litany of elite defensive wings and as such possibly has the highest defensive upside of anyone here.

Maybe it doesn't work out for them but talking about them like they are a team who are unlikely to/ should be satisfied with making the quarter finals is bonkers. Look I love the idea of Jokic punking the Americans or the French beating them on home soil, but for me the team that is best matched to push a possibly ageing US team is Canada. (Admittedly that is not to say that I think they would definitely beat France or Serbia just that they match up better with the Americans.)