website statistics

Luge FIL World Cup 2019 - 2020

Totallympics

27 minutes ago, dcro said:

Austria is definitely growing in luge. Right now they have much more depth in men's events than Germans. Hell, they are even building a second home track.

Not on the women's side which used to be more dominated by Germans. I still remember Neuner & Tagwerker. They were more of a threat than anyone Austria has right now. Hannah Prock is a total waste of time. Demchenko's daughter makes her look like a complete fraud. I can't decide which offspring is worse, Hannah Prock in luge or Nina Ortlieb in alpine skiing.

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

It sounded vaguely familiar, but not very :p 

Any word on where Tim Singer went today? I mean, I was expecting four guys to jump on that luge sled when I heard John Morgan :hairpull: 

It's bizzarre. Apparently his wife fell yesterday, Sebastian Bley jumped to help her, but it turns out she broke an ankle and was taken for a surgery today.

#banbestmen

41 minutes ago, dcro said:

Austria is definitely growing in luge. Right now they have much more depth in men's events than Germans. Hell, they are even building a second home track.

Oh, I didn’t know there was a new track in the works. Where?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

John Morgan commentating today instead of Tim Singer. Obviously we know him from skeleton and bobsled, but personally I didn't know he made his commentating debut at the 1981 world championships....at the race where his brother - driving one of the American sleds - broke his neck and died in a crash :yikes: 

Holy shit! We’re lucky 5 athletes didn’t end up dead per race back then. That has to be some of the worst track construction I’ve ever seen :yikes:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Not sure actually. Somewhere in Tirol I believe.

But in any case, it's supposed to be short (800 m) and luge-only.

800m is hella short. It definitely won’t be a World Cup track. Seems like a waste of funds.

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

800m is hella short. It definitely won’t be a World Cup track. Seems like a waste of funds.

Bludenz in the Vorarlberg. Track will be 725m and used by juniors. It's hardly a waste of funds IMO. They still have Igls for the seniors.

https://www.fil-luge.org/en/news/green-light-for-ice-track-construction-in-bludenz

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Bludenz in the Vorarlberg. Track will be 725m and used by juniors. It's hardly a waste of funds IMO. They still have Igls for the seniors.

https://www.fil-luge.org/en/news/green-light-for-ice-track-construction-in-bludenz

Igls - arguably the easiest track in the world to drive.

23 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Without Igls luge & bobsleigh would never become an Olympic sport tho :evil:

Sometimes simplicity is the reason for success.

Life and bobsled were well established Olympics sports before then. Igls is responsible for the modern era though, and it is one of the most iconic tracks in the world. It’s just not hardest, and the start is pretty much all that matters.