website statistics

Totallympics after Tokyo 2020

Sindo

2 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Considering that the site is much more active during these 16 days, I think it worked really well, it only crashed a few times and most of those were scheduled maintenances at 2am CET. 

Unfortunately I was not aware of those 2am CET crashes because I was never online at that time before Day 1. Some days later I asked the provider to stop night backups (which will start again tomorrow :d ). But moving on a stronger server from next month should completely avoid these downs.

In general I think Totallympics did a great job. When it crashed during the first softball game I thought 'oh no, not again' but it stayed up very well generally. And the discussion was of a high quality even with the usual controversial topics, it's great to talk to regular fans of sports I only watch once every four years at the Olympics.

I could help with a :GBR forum as well, I think the community is big enough for it and there's a lot of interest in the Olympics

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

9 hours ago, Sindo said:

I know not everything was perfect, there were some nightly downs of the forum in the first days and some posts had to be deleted because of abusive behavior by certain users,

@Sindo???

The problem is you very often don't react at all and tolerate some posts by certain users (1 or 2 in particular) who are very disrespectful to other users or some sportsmen, but you tend to delete some posts who are just reaction to this kind of behaviour. That's certainly a thing which should be improved.

1 hour ago, rafalgorka said:

@Sindo???

The problem is you very often don't react at all and tolerate some posts by certain users (1 or 2 in particular) who are very disrespectful to other users or some sportsmen, but you tend to delete some posts who are just reaction to this kind of behaviour. That's certainly a thing which should be improved.

I get your point. When you say I don't react and tolarate posts I accept the criticism, but it's not like I do that because I enjoy seeing provocations or because I don't care. I use it as a tactic, which maybe is not the best one everytime, but it's still a tactic.

I find useless to permanently ban in the internet world (if not in case of spam), because I have no way to stop people to come back one day or one year later with another username, another IP etc. Deleting posts and keep an eye on "tricky" users, let's call them like that, allow me and the community to know who is writing it, it gives me the chance to moderate their posts when necessary, it gives users the chance to use the ignore function agiainst them so that their posts will not appear anymore. Banning them will not stop them, on the contrary it might increase their anger and frustration, they will get back to do what they did with another username, and if they are good and people can't recognize who they are, they will give the feeling there are even more people like them.

Again, I'm not saying this is the best way to limit these situations, but I just wanted to explain my point of view. I know it's not easy but the best way, as in real life, is just to ignore them.