website statistics

Totallympics after Tokyo 2020

Sindo

18 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I hope the community won’t be splintered with all these subforums. I quite like things as they are.

Yep. There's already plenty of users who are apparently active, yet never really appear in sports threads and such, which really should be the 'body' of a forum like this (one would assume). It'd be great if they'd actually check those out as well :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

30 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I hope the community won’t be splintered with all these subforums. I quite like things as they are.

I agree, the international nature of the forum is what appeals to me. I love reading about what Irish, Greek, Polish, Brazilian, Italian, etc, etc. athletes achieve!

Slightly off-topic, but it's a good of a thread like any. :d

It's like a totally different place here today (not the forum, but the country here :p) Remember 2 weeks ago, when i left the office and said, that only 1-2 of my colleagues were semi excited/interested in the Olympics. Well, i go to work today and people were buzzing. Now they know names, know events, they talk "Did you watch this, did you saw that". It's like i was in the Twilight zone :d

Also it was mentioned that record number of young people were talking about it on the social media these past few days, with the unofficial title being "So, this is what having success in sport feels like. We don't have to rely only on our parents and grandparents stories."

And i actually saw people defending our athletes, that didn't do that good. Because all of our medals were won by women, there are funny comments like "When is the Olympics for men starting?", "Have the men been left in the kitchen?" etc. And our past few delegations were usually labeled as tourists, going on a free vacation. Just like a week before Tokyo again. Now, all of a sudden, there are hardly any tourists and the ones that say that are countered with "They did their best" and "Even competing is a big success". Things are very bizarre :d  

6 hours ago, Sindo said:

Yeah. That would be basically like moving to a Facebook group, of course with more features. The mobile experience would probably be better, but I also see many negative points.

OK, I didn't know that it was so demanding...

I was just thinking it was a simple technical issue to adapt some features to the tapatalk app...

if it means selling our soul to someone else, of course I don't want that...

make as if I never asked anything about it...

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Yep. There's already plenty of users who are apparently active, yet never really appear in sports threads and such, which really should be the 'body' of a forum like this (one would assume). It'd be great if they'd actually check those out as well :cheer: 

The thing is, when talking about football or F1, I already have places to talk about that. So I usually use this when multi-sport games are on, or sports more associated with the Olympics like athletics or swimming have major champs I will watch. I guess I see this as an Olympics forum, before I see it as a sports forum

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

13 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Absolutely, that should be one of the priorities when setting up those sub-forums. But I think we can easily avoid that.

Ideally, sub-forums would take the place of Facebook groups of olympic sport fans, giving them a better place to discuss rather than a Facebook group. And at most, it would take the place of National Threads, because for nations with lots of users I think one single national thread is not enough. We have seen that with India in the past, there were so many users that the National thread was not enough anymore for them and they moved to whatsapp groups.

In general, I think people interested to interact with people from the rest of the world would not leave Totallympics for their national sub-forum. A national sub-forum would bring more people who does not want to use English language or that simply are not interested to talk with people from all around the world.

But I agree that is something we should be careful on and that is why I think...

16 hours ago, NaBUru38 said:

I suggest having a Iberoamerican forum, for all Spanish and Portuguese speaking sports fans.

...this idea could be dangerous because a multi-nations forum would take the place of the main Totallympics for spanish/portuguese speaking fans and that is not what we want.

51 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

It seems like an impossible task to substistute national forums/groups which have been going on for years with hundreds of members. Why would they move, unless their forums crash and stop working and they need a new place.

Yeah, it surely won't be easy and maybe not even necessary. But some communities does not even have a forum/group and we might give them one. Or maybe they have a Facebook group whose features are very limited and we can give them a place where to have everything organized in sections, threads, using tables etc, something which social networks do not allow.

Also, there is nothing to loose in that, there are no expenses, should the forum never take off we can just close it anytime or try it in another moment.