website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

Hello, I have a question :) 

In Dutch, we have the word 'gefeliciteerd', which would literally translate to 'congratulations' (and is used as such) but is also used for 'happy birthday' (we don't have a specific, literal way of saying 'happy birthday'). Now, there's this in my opinion weird thing where people congratulate each other when it's someone's birthday :dunno: For example, today is my mom's birthday and some family told me 'gefeliciteerd with your mom', which is perfectly normal here, but since a few years I've started to realize this is fucking weird. Same thing two days ago when both my parents and sister said 'gefeliciteerd with your girlfriend' to me, although at least they did so jokingly knowing I find the whole thing excruciatingly weird.

In short: is there any other country where people congratulate each other on the birthdays of other people? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

In Dutch, we have the word 'gefeliciteerd', which would literally translate to 'congratulations' (and is used as such) but is also used for 'happy birthday' (we don't have a specific, literal way of saying 'happy birthday'). Now, there's this in my opinion weird thing where people congratulate each other when it's someone's birthday :dunno: For example, today is my mom's birthday and some family told me 'gefeliciteerd with your mom', which is perfectly normal here, but since a few years I've started to realize this is fucking weird. Same thing two days ago when both my parents and sister said 'gefeliciteerd with your girlfriend' to me, although at least they did so jokingly knowing I find the whole thing excruciatingly weird.

In short: is there any other country where people congratulate each other on the birthdays of other people? :d 

ok, this is really weird :d

7 minutes ago, hckosice said:

ok, this is really weird :d

I know right?! I wish I had never realized this, because now every time I hear/see that inside I'm like 'what the fuck' and thinking:

Spoiler

70306678.jpg

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Am I weird?

Well it’s weird but then again that’s language and cultures for you.

In the Irish language there are no words for “yes” or “no” so you have to answer in a roundabout way.

Also to greet someone you say “Dia duit” which means “God to you”.

The reply to this is “Dia is Muire dhuit” which means “God and Mary to you”.

A sort of religious poker where we basically up the stake :d 

Edited by OlympicIRL

2 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Well it’s weird but then again that’s language and cultures for you.

In the Irish language there are no words for “yes” or “no” so you have to answer in a roundabout way.

Also to greet someone you say “Dia duit” which means “God to you”.

The reply to this is “Dia is Muire dhuit” which means “God and Mary to you”.

A sort of religious poker where we basically up the stake :d 

Reminds me of Austria and 'Grüss Gott' ('Greet God') when for example you enter a store :p Even though I'm definitely not greeting a certain deity, but the person working there.

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Reminds me of Austria and 'Grüss Gott' ('Greet God') when for example you enter a store :p Even though I'm definitely not greeting a certain deity, but the person working there.

Although, If we ever end up meeting in person, feel free to use that when greeting me.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Vojthas beat me to this, but happy Olympic Day everyone! Celebrate with some sport on this fine summer Sunday.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...