website statistics

Poll 4/100 | Which was your most memorable Summer Olympics of the 21st Century?

Poll 4/100  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your most memorable Summer Olympics of the 21st Century?

• Sydney 2000
    • Athens 2004
    • Beijing 2008
    • London 2012
    • Rio 2016
    • None,Summer Olympics in the 20th century were much better
    • Tokyo will be my 1st Summer Olympics

3 minutes ago, CCB said:

Then I'll go with you. Like many other Dutch fans, I suppose ... 

Awesome! I saw that you attended London in 2012? What an experience to see Zonderland and Kromowidjojo win their golds live!

Did you have to plan everything like rooms, travel and tickets at least a year ahead? I can only imagine everywhere is sold out instantly, but I never tried to attend an Olympics before.

Beijing 2008 just felt like the biggest event out of those. Other than Vancouver (on account of living in Canada at the time) I don’t remember any Olympic being such a big topic of conversation among people who don’t follow sports.

Sydney 2000 because of the atmosphere around the competitions and because that period was one of the best stints of my life...

unfortunately I've never attended to any Olympic event on site...but I hope to make up for that in 2026*, with all the Hockey and Short Track Speedskating action taking place in my hometown, Milan...

*I know, it's the Winter Games, but I usually make no distinction...the Olympics are the Olympics in any circumstance and in any season...

34 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

Awesome! I saw that you attended London in 2012? What an experience to see Zonderland and Kromowidjojo win their golds live!

Did you have to plan everything like rooms, travel and tickets at least a year ahead? I can only imagine everywhere is sold out instantly, but I never tried to attend an Olympics before.

Ticket sales start more than a year in advance. Getting the best tickets is actually the most important (for me). I always arrange transport and sleeping places afterwards, if necessary via the official channels (Sunweb in the Netherlands). By then it will also appear on this forum!

It's Paris, so I'm already starting to save!

Beijing.

Our most successful games, 6 medals, 3 golds (never happend before and never happened after). Total domination of Canoe slalom. 2 golds in 30 minutes, medal in combat sport, many another great results. a games of a lifetime for a slovak sport fan.

I don't actually remember how I followed London 2012. I went for Rio, because for that one I know I had no obligation like school or a job or anything so it was 100% watching whatever I could :d 

Beijing 2008 was when I had just started my first job, sadly. I do remember walking around the warehouse with earphones in listening to the radio secretly, specifically Marianne Vos winning track cycling gold and the Dutch hockey men losing shootouts to Germany :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

London because it felt like such a triumph for Hungary after Beijing. We took a huge hit with Beijing, and I was very concerned about that this might become the new normal for Hungary at the Games, but we were back on track with London. 

For me, it's Beijing 2008, it was my first Olympics. Enjoyed the Opening Ceremony very much. Got up at 6am to watch something on TV (a first those days). They'd brief about India's chance's then it was finally the 1st action - Handball W-Angola vs Sweden. It was fun entire match I watched. Then there were lot of sports changed every few minutes it was like a meal with all varieties. Even enjoyed the road race that day and all the events of the Olympics.