website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

So, there's Turkish people going onto the streets, after their Great Leader Erdogan called the Netherlands 'nazis' and the few things they manage to get out of their mouths include words like 'kankerjoden' which, freely translated, means something like 'cancer jews'. Now I'm confused, are we nazis or are we 'cancer jews'? I doubt they know there's sort of a difference between the two historically speaking :d 

Well... I thank you Dutch and the Germans for starting paranoia. Just read somebody stating that we'll be in civil war in Denmark soon... :lol:

Edited by Agger

29 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Turkish people burned a French flag thinking it was Dutch :lol: They have fantastic geographical knowledge

After which they went on to 'kill' oranges. Because, well, orange. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, dcro said:

@heywoodu Can you explain in short what this nonsense about Turkey-Netherlands is? For someone who doesn't care too much about politics. :d

Lately, there's too much politics in this thread anyway. :p

To keep it as neutral as possible:

There's a big referendum coming up in Turkey next month, effectively giving Erdogan even more power if some law or change or something is approved via that referendum. Obviously he wants everyone to vote yes, so he's sending his ministers all over Europe (well, countries like the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, you know, where a lot of Turkish people can be found) to campaign for the 'Yes' camp. 

I believe Switzerland is allowing it, but Germany started refusing some ministers and now the Netherlands is doing the same. Saturday one of them was supposed to hold a public speech near the Turkish consulate, but in the days leading up to that, Dutch politicians (including the minister of Foreign Affairs) were making it more and more clear they did not want them to do that here. Then on the day she arrived, they didn't give her plane permission to land and she had to drive via Germany. In Rotterdam, her convoy was stopped and she wasn't allowed to go to the place where she'd have her speech.

This whole thing eventually resulted in a couple hundreds of Turkish people living in the Netherlands gathering near the consulate, protesting and stuff. Apart from some small unrest, luckily it didn't turn as violent as one could have expected, so that's good. The Turkish minister of course was angry ("you're breaking all laws!"), Wilders of course was as happy as a child in a candy store ("Leave this country and bring all those fans of yours with you!") and Erdogan called the Netherlands 'remnants of the nazis' or something similar and is now promising sanctions and everything (which nobody here really cares about...at all. These sanctions would have just as much effect as when I tell you that if you don't listen to me, you won't be allowed to watch the Dutch high school bog snorkling championships). 

I'm sure I forgot some things but to the best of my limited knowledge when it comes to politics, this is about it :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Turkish people "have their right" to choose people and standards they want in their internal affairs. If people from NED or GER give themselves right to think by themeselves what is good for Turkish people....no wonder that it all happened. 

Especially...that politicians from Netherlands and Germany....as of "quality" as they are. For me blame is clearly on Dutch side. So if we won`t like new Dutch politics....we are to forbid free public speaches which are not against the law? This is low and so "western european", no wonder there are serious problems with minorities if they are treated that way with fixed pre-lack of trust. What right has NED to create internal matters of TUR even if they are infernal :). In fact i think NED couldn`t do....bigger favour for Erdogan than this, lack of imagination? Too much "procedures"? Maybe, i don`t know, outcome proves they were wrong:p

Edited by Pavlo

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

2 hours ago, Pavlo said:

Turkish people "have their right" to choose people and standards they want in their internal affairs. If people from NED or GER give themselves right to think by themeselves what is good for Turkish people....no wonder that it all happened. 

Especially...that politicians from Netherlands and Germany....as of "quality" as they are. For me blame is clearly on Dutch side. So if we won`t like new Dutch politics....we are to forbid free public speaches which are not against the law? This is low and so "western european", no wonder there are serious problems with minorities if they are treated that way with fixed pre-lack of trust. What right has NED to create internal matters of TUR even if they are infernal :). In fact i think NED couldn`t do....bigger favour for Erdogan than this, lack of imagination? Too much "procedures"? Maybe, i don`t know, outcome proves they were wrong:p

Why are Turkish ministers campaigning in Europe for referendum in Turkey? Netherlands/Germany has to manage law and order, so if they think the speech of a Turkish minister can cause L&O issues, I don't see any problem in NED/GER restricting entry to Turkish ministers. 

23 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Why are Turkish ministers campaigning in Europe for referendum in Turkey? Netherlands/Germany has to manage law and order, so if they think the speech of a Turkish minister can cause L&O issues, I don't see any problem in NED/GER restricting entry to Turkish ministers. 

This mostly. Turkish-Dutch people were called upon to have some sort of mass demonstration when their ministers would be here and people expected that to give safety issues, not very unrealistic given the history of these kind of events. I didn't follow everything that well so apparently I missed somewhat of a key issue: the Dutch and Turkish governments were in discussion about how to solve this problem when Erdogan all of a sudden started threatening with sanctions and things like that. That's what made the Dutch government say "yeah, if you're going to go this way, we're not gonna help you out here". 

They specifically said that simply giving some small speeches wasn't even a problem, the problem was when there would be good reason to believe things would get out of hand with demonstrations and stuff. 

The only real negative thing is that this whole thing might lead to a few more people voting on Geert Wilders tomorrow, but I doubt it'll make a huge difference.