website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

57 minutes ago, Bearas said:

Group A is just a joke...

not much more than group B, D and F, I guess...:whistle:

at least, :DOM have a NBA star in their team (and :ITA at the last couple of checkouts were better than :LTU).

the whole Manila section basically only has 1 single do or die match-up, which is the :GRE vs :LTU duel for a quarterfinal spot (to me, :USA:SRB:ITA are already in the top 8).

Edited by phelps

41 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

From an Olympic qualification perspective :ANG and :SSD got the best draw among the African nations as the quota can literally go to whoever qualifies to the second round. Likewise, :CHN is the (even bigger) favourite for the Asian quota

:SSD has never qualified by right for any event at the Olympics. This may be one of the best opportunities they get.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

:SSD has never qualified by right for any event at the Olympics. This may be one of the best opportunities they get.

The nation has been putting a lot of resources in basketball since their independence. They are severely under-ranked in the rankings, where they should be ranked as one of the best in Africa. Still defeating both China and Puerto Rico will be tough.

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

:CHN is the (even bigger) favourite for the Asian quota

China wasn't good during the Qualifiers, adding one NBA player will improve their quality but still I'm not sure if they can beat Japan and the Philippines in head to head matches. luckily for them they don't have to play Japan. 

Philippines is a bit hard to predict. they live and die on their 3pts shoots, they may even top their group 3-0 :d

I think the Asian quota is between CHN, PHI and even JPN. absolutely no chance for IRN, JOR and LBN. I have to admit that Iran is probably the weakest team of the World Cup. :(

28 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Anyone willing to do some predictions based on the draw?

for the quotas, or for the title? haha

For quotas I'd say

Americas - :USA:CAN

Asia - :CHN or :JPN

Africa - :SSD or :ANG

Oceania - :AUS

Europe - Almost all teams hahah

I think the quotas for America will be the most interesting. USA will probably get it easily, but the second one will depend a lot.

Canada and Brazil may face each other at second round, and it could be decisive for them. I think :DOM:PUR and :VEN have a good chance to take it.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Anyone willing to do some predictions based on the draw?

Practically impossible without knowing which teams will show up. For example, will Jokić play for Serbia, what kind of USA national team will be there. I mean it's not impossible that if AMericans don't send their top team and they won't, they could miss on quarterfinals being in the same part of the draw with Greece and Lithuania with only two spots for QF. 

From first part of the draw Serbia and Italy game in the 2nd round will determine who will be first and who second but both will qualify for quarter finals. Then, it's the game with one of the three Greece/USA/Lithuania. 

Slovenia should coast from the group E but in group F we'll see one of AUS/GER/FIN eliminated in the first round and two in the second round. Probably Slovenia and Aus goes to QF but who knows. 

Finaly, Spain will cruise in group G, while group H is the toughest one. But big caveat is waiting to see will Canada FINALY send it's best players or at least very good team. If they do I could see them in QF with France, Spain and Latvia battling for the other QF spot. 

From Serbia's perspective, there are two do or die matches here for Olympic quota. Against Italy in 2nd round and QF matchup which will be massive.