website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

24 minutes ago, nenad said:

Well, we have our 2023 World Cup favorites if this roster shows up 

How would they be favored over the US?

Everyone knows that Canada has by far the second best guard rotation, but their wings (without Wiggins) and bigs are not too impressive ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

22 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

How would they be favored over the US?

Everyone knows that Canada has by far the second best guard rotation, but their wings (without Wiggins) and bigs are not too impressive ...

Americans don't impress me. On paper they had a better team at last World cup and they finished 7th. 

2 hours ago, nenad said:

Americans don't impress me. On paper they had a better team at last World cup and they finished 7th. 

Canada however hasnt much depth in talls. If only they could have Chris Boucher or Khem Birch...

4 hours ago, nenad said:

1) I don't agree that they had a better team on paper last time.

2) They have a new coach.

3) How does/did Canada impress you when the US didn't? I am exaggerating a bit, but has Canada ever won a game at the basketball world cup ... ?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

20 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) I don't agree that they had a better team on paper last time.

2) They have a new coach.

3) How does/did Canada impress you when the US didn't? I am exaggerating a bit, but has Canada ever won a game at the basketball world cup ... ?

I mean Canada has never had this kind of team so any comparison is ridicilous. 

Yeah, US has a new coach who replaces one of the best coaches of all time, so taking that as some sort of a positive change is pretty funny. 

22 hours ago, George_D said:

Canada however hasnt much depth in talls. If only they could have Chris Boucher or Khem Birch...

They don't. But there's Powell for example who can be very useful. US also doesn't have strong big men rotation. But, there are no starting centers which are dominating besides Jokić and he may not play. 

2 hours ago, nenad said:

I mean Canada has never had this kind of team so any comparison is ridicilous. 

Yeah, US has a new coach who replaces one of the best coaches of all time, so taking that as some sort of a positive change is pretty funny. 

Canada has had good teams before that were hyped but pretty much always underperformed. I guess we won't agree on this topic.

As far as i know the former american coach was "only" a college coach who, according to many, didn't do a super impressive job recently (considering the talents he recruited every year). Their new coach is seen as one of the best coaches of all time as well + many think that he is better suited for FIBA basketball + he is younger and should be more "up-to-date". Personally i absolutely don't see how anyone could think that Canada has more talent, but i guess you are seeing something that i don't see. In my opinion the 3rd best canadian player (Barrett) would only be the 8th best player on the american team.

2 hours ago, nenad said:

They don't. But there's Powell for example who can be very useful. US also doesn't have strong big men rotation. But, there are no starting centers which are dominating besides Jokić and he may not play. 

JJJ, Kessler and Banchero are lightyears ahead of every canadian big man.

4 hours ago, nenad said:

Oh, man. I don't know from where to start so I won't start at all. Just know your facts. Former American coach was Greg Popovich. Look, he's my avatar. 

Please forgive me ...

I thought Kerr took over from Coach K, but in fact Kerr took over from Popovich, who in turn took over from Coach K. Who was their coach at the last world championships? You must think that all the the american players at the 2019 world cup (for example Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Khris Middleton and Donovan Mitchell) were extremely overrated if you don't think that them losing against Serbia and France didn't have anything to do with the coach (some might also say that the coach has the responsibility of selecting the right players). Popovich without a doubt is one of the greatest NBA coaches ever, but there is a difference between the NBA and FIBA basketball + Popovich hasn't done anything with the Spurs in quite some time. I think that Kerr is a better fit for this team and FIBA basketball in general. Of course your "relationship" with Popovich explains why you aren't able to judge his performance at the last world cup objectively. Also i must have missed the part of your comment where you explained how exactly Canada has a stronger roster (when their 3rd best player would probably only be the 8th best player on the american team and they have no wings at the level of Ingram/Bridges/Banchero and no bigs at the level of JJJ/Kessler). 3 of the worst american players (Kessler, Johnson, Portis) might even be starters for the canadian team ...