website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

I mean I didn't respond because I see no point. For example, calling Coach K, one of the most succesfull coaches in NCAA history as "some college coach" is just silly and shows the lack of knowledge. And Coach K was long gone at World Cup 2019, Popovich was the coach then. And Kerr was his main assistent. 

Besides that, you are making my point literally by saying what players that team had. You can't say that this team on paper is better than that team and then making an argument how good was that team and blame it on coach :d

As for Canada and US comparison, I would be perfectly fine with Powell/Olynik combo. But, since there's no point in talking before competition, let's wait and see what this American team can do in the actual competition. Then, we should talk. 

1 hour ago, nenad said:

I mean I didn't respond because I see no point. For example, calling Coach K, one of the most succesfull coaches in NCAA history as "some college coach" is just silly and shows the lack of knowledge. And Coach K was long gone at World Cup 2019, Popovich was the coach then. And Kerr was his main assistent. 

Besides that, you are making my point literally by saying what players that team had. You can't say that this team on paper is better than that team and then making an argument how good was that team and blame it on coach :d

As for Canada and US comparison, I would be perfectly fine with Powell/Olynik combo. But, since there's no point in talking before competition, let's wait and see what this American team can do in the actual competition. Then, we should talk. 

No, you didn't answer because even you know that your original claim was absurd. I also don't remember saying that Coach K is "some college coach", but that he is "only" a college coach (one of the best of all times, but not an NBA coach -> not used to working with grown-ups/not used to NBA basketball).

I didn't make your point in any way. This american team is stronger (while their last team was also strong and the strongest team on paper, but less balanced than their current team). I also never blamed their performance on their coach, i said that he also deserves some of the blame for their performances and for not being able to create a more balanced roster (maybe him not being an NBA coach made it difficult for him to know which players to pick ...).

So if i understand you correctly your "proof" of Canada having a roster that is better/at least as good as the american roster is that you would be perfectly fine with Powell/Olynyk and that we can't judge the players before the start of the competition ... ?

What exactly was the point of talking about roster strength then? According to you we should just disregard what we know about the players. Also the actual performances won't tell us which nation has the better roster on paper. We have a big enough sample size of NBA games to judge the players. Team A finishing ahead of team B doesn't automatically mean that team A has better players. I don't remember claiming that Canada can't finish ahead of the US, but my claim was that the US has the better roster and that we have no indication (since Canada basically never did anything at national team level and they also have a new coach) that Canada can offset this disadvantage (by for example having great team chemistry or a superior coach). Objectively the US has to be considered the favorite, which (again) doesn't mean that they will finish ahead of Canada. Also SGA might very well be better than any player the US has.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, nenad said:

Pretty long post to say that even if you're proven wrong, you'll not be wrong. 

I am sorry for using arguments. Maybe i should as well just reply with one-liners that don't contribute anything. I guess your strategy is better suited for your "abilities". If you can't win an argument you just declare yourself the winner without even trying to disprove anything the other person said. That way you don't have to face your own shortcomings. Sadly this strategy prevents you from growing as a person. It only raises the question why you post comments on a discussion forum when you aren't willing to actually lead discussions ... seems like a waste of time.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

I am sorry for using arguments. Maybe i should as well just reply with one-liners that don't contribute anything. I guess your strategy is better suited for your "abilities". If you can't win an argument you just declare yourself the winner without even trying to disprove anything the other person said. That way you don't have to face your own shortcomings. Sadly this strategy prevents you from growing as a person. It only raises the question why you post comments on a discussion forum when you aren't willing to actually lead discussions ... seems like a waste of time.

I choose with whome I interact, it's that simple. I can't talk basketball with the guy who doesn't know simple facts and using them in arguments. I could write an essay about how some of your points are plain stupid like Kessler and Banchero being some magic combination of big men, but I choose not to. 

And this post of yours really again just proves my point, you're insulting me because we have a difference of opinion. I have no time for people like you. 

27 minutes ago, nenad said:

I choose with whome I interact, it's that simple. I can't talk basketball with the guy who doesn't know simple facts and using them in arguments. I could write an essay about how some of your points are plain stupid like Kessler and Banchero being some magic combination of big men, but I choose not to. 

And this post of yours really again just proves my point, you're insulting me because we have a difference of opinion. I have no time for people like you. 

I am sure that you could ... that is probably also the reason why you need to lie about what i said (where did i say that they are a magical combination?) and can't provide a single reason for why exactly Canada should be favored over the US. I guess i just have to accept the opinion of a brilliant basketball mind like you who doesn't think that Olynyk and Powell are a clearly worse center rotation than Banchero/JJJ/Kessler or that Canada doesn't have clearly worse wings. Not sure if any basketball expert agrees with your take, but probably they just don't have your wisdom ...

Kleber is out for Germany after Schröder criticized him for not playing at Eurobasket last year. We have to assume that Schröder is completely brain****. This was the best team Germany ever had and they could have fought for a medal, but now the tournament is over before it even started. Not having Kleber, Hartenstein or Jallow is a huge loss for Germany. Also Reaves playing for the US instead doesn't help either ...

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

Kleber is out for Germany after Schröder criticized him for not playing at Eurobasket last year. We have to assume that Schröder is completely brain****. This was the best team Germany ever had and they could have fought for a medal, but now the tournament is over before it even started. Not having Kleber, Hartenstein or Jallow is a huge loss for Germany. Also Reaves playing for the US instead doesn't help either ...

yes but now all German fans will blame Schroder and then he will start crying and say "ok if you blame me i am not going to participate either"  :hyper:

Edited by George_D

33 minutes ago, George_D said:

yes but now all German fans will blame Schroder and then he will start crying and say "ok if you blame me i am not going to participate either"  :hyper:

I absolutely don't see that happening. Basketball isn't big enough for the public to care enough/create enough pressure. Schröder clearly harmed the team and should be punished, but sadly i don't see that happening. What he said about Kleber was very disrespectful. The german coach is in a very difficult spot. If he punishes Schröder, he might destroy his relationship with him (Schröder is the captain of this team) and if he doesn't punish him, the team might lose respect for the coach.