website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

10 hours ago, copravolley said:

I think that main pretendent in 73 kg is Heydarov from Azerbaijan: actually World and European Champion and number 1 in ranking. Lombardo lost in 2023 in final World Champ with Stump from Switzerland. For me it was quite a disappointment. I agree that both Lombardo and Bellandi are candidates for medals but there are a bigger favorites to win gold: current world champions: Heydarov and Wagner + possibly the Japanese in the Bellandi category. 

oh, c'mon!

he didn't lose to Stump...he was victim of a safety rule, but it's not that the Swiss did any damage to him, technically speaking

it was a fluke, as there's one in the world

Heydarov is a good boy, but he's not even close to Lombardo in terms of technical skills

as I wrote, in Judo you can always lose because of a detail gone wrong, but it doesn't mean that you're worse than someone who just beat you

p.s. don't forget that Lombardo has had already many troubles with injuries and in the past couple of years he has competed very few times compared to his main rivals...rankings just reflect this

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Oh boy... :d 

you can disagree as much as you like, but nobody would make me change my mind...he's by far the most skilled guy in that class

anything but gold, it would be a disappointing result in Paris

don't forget that he's one of the only 2 fighters that could beat Abe since 2019 -and he did it on the mat, actually scoring twice on him- when he also was in the 66kg class (just to say how technically gifted is he)

Posted (edited)

I will be the first to congratulate him for the gold in Paris but on paper I have no grounds to place him as the main favorite before the competition, since Haydarov is the current World and European champion :)

Asia Tavano will fight for bronze with a Korean in the weight +78kg. I hope she wins - the Korean is rated higher but you can fight her. Tavano will find this medal very useful and the entire Italian team needs bronze here to equal the medal result from 2023. Let`s go!

Edited by copravolley

1 hour ago, copravolley said:

I will be the first to congratulate him for the gold in Paris but on paper I have no grounds to place him as the main favorite before the competition, since Haydarov is the current World and European champion :)

Asia Tavano will fight for bronze with a Korean in the weight +78kg. I hope she wins - the Korean is rated higher but you can fight her. Tavano will find this medal very useful and the entire Italian team needs bronze here to equal the medal result from 2023. Let`s go!

Tavano already lost to the Korean recently...I hope she wins it, but it's not gonna be a walk in the park

however, :ITA women: 6x top 8 finish, 4 different weights at least in the semifinals, 3 gold medal matches (only 1 gold, but you can't always have it all)

:ITA men: twice 5th place (and only 1 going to the semis)

I'm done, your Honor

9 minutes ago, phelps said:

ps if I look at the men's -100kg, I get heavily depressed...

what a chance Pirelli missed Today! :facepalm: :hairpull:

Pirelli doesn't worry me because it has a certain qualification for the Olympics, and it had no chance for seeding there. In my opinion his does not have the potential for something big in Paris, apart from some great sensations. Yes, today he should win against the Austrian but against the Canadian in the next round he would not be the favorite. Fortunately, his direct rivals in the rankings also quickly dropped out.

Posted (edited)

For me, however, it was a disappointment, because 3 fights for bronze and 0 medals. Refereeing is incomprehensible to me today, just like yesterday. They give yellow cards to our players and then they have to chase and take risks. Today, out of nothing, wazari for Korea. Is there any challenge here? If there is no challenge, the referee can do anything: give strange yellow cards to the fight, give a DSQ for who knows what.

Edited by copravolley

10 minutes ago, copravolley said:

For me, however, it was a disappointment, because 3 fights for bronze and 0 medals. Refereeing is incomprehensible to me today, just like yesterday. They give yellow cards to our players and then they have to chase and take risks. Today, out of nothing, wazari for Korea. Is there any challenge here? If there is no challenge, the referee can do anything: give strange yellow cards to the fight, give a DSQ for who knows what.

It was bad the day before too.