website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

promising day for :ITA with very disappointing finish :dunno:

Parlati is an idiot, that's confirmed once again...one of the greatest waste of talent in the Italian sport system :facepalm:

he just doesn't have the right attitude :pope:

Pedrotti did what she could, she won 2 not so easy matches and then raised the white flag against 2 stronger fighters...

7th place is better than the early expectations

Polling is the second big disappointment of the day...

she started well, she beat strong women like :CRO Cvjetko and :SWE Karlsson, but then she lost badly against :FRA Gahiè

actually, the bad thing isn't that she lost, but how she did it

finally, the actual disaster came in the repechage match vs :AIN Taimazova...that was a really bad loss

7th place for her is definitely below the expectations

Bellandi...this is a good case of study for some psychiatrists

basically, she owns the French players (and not only them) but at the same time she just can't fight Wagner, nothing works against the German

however, she had once again a great run despite not being at 100% of her shape (it was clear from the early fights that Today she wasn't as effective as in some other tournaments)

a world silver medal is still a great achievement and I hope (I think) she'll have some surprise ready for Wagner in Paris

2 hours ago, copravolley said:

She is a favorite for the medal but not for the gold. Someone here wrote earlier from Italy that Bellandi and Lombardo are favorites for gold in Paris. I don`t agree with that. The favorite could have been Riner at his peak.

I confirm my opinion...

Lombardo to me is a lock for Gold, he can lose only if he makes mistakes (or he's injured)...he's definitely better than any other 73kg fighter, except maybe for the Russian Lavrentiev (who however lost to our guy both times they faced each other, despite always giving him a big scare in those 2 matches)

and Bellandi is also a true gold medal contender...Wagner is a problem for her, but I'm pretty sure she has a few tricks left in the bag that she will throw out in Paris, should they meet (and if Wagner has to face Takayama before the final, I'm not so sure she's gonna be in the Olympic decider)

p.s. Takayama is not so scary...she won (quickly, too quickly) the last time she faced Bellandi, but her history is not like Abe or Tsunoda's...she's everything but unbeatable

however, the Olympics are a different beast...don't expect that tournament to be "logical", the history of medal favourites flopping because of the pressure of that given day is so long...

Polling is of course no longer at the top of her game. Also, she was very successful at Europeans, but somehow never at Worlds. On her day she can go far in Paris, but there is a reason she’s now starting for Italy: she hasn’t been the Dutch number one for years.

7 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

Polling is of course no longer at the top of her game. Also, she was very successful at Europeans, but somehow never at Worlds. On her day she can go far in Paris, but there is a reason she’s now starting for Italy: she hasn’t been the Dutch number one for years.

obviously she's nopt anymore on top of her game, but, as I wrote, I was disappointed by how she lost to ahiè, I knew she was going to lose, but not like a beginner as she did Today

then, I didn't expect her to lose vs Taimazova the way she did...in this case, she had the fight under control and made another stupid mistake I never saw her doing in the past (and not even at the Europeans or in Astana 2 weeks ago)

that's disappointing, not the placing in itself

I hope she'll do better in Paris (if she has a good draw...not being seeded, she might even get Gahiè in round 1 and...good night!)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, phelps said:

I confirm my opinion...

Lombardo to me is a lock for Gold, he can lose only if he makes mistakes (or he's injured)...he's definitely better than any other 73kg fighter, except maybe for the Russian Lavrentiev (who however lost to our guy both times they faced each other, despite always giving him a big scare in those 2 matches)

and Bellandi is also a true gold medal contender...Wagner is a problem for her, but I'm pretty sure she has a few tricks left in the bag that she will throw out in Paris, should they meet (and if Wagner has to face Takayama before the final, I'm not so sure she's gonna be in the Olympic decider)

p.s. Takayama is not so scary...she won (quickly, too quickly) the last time she faced Bellandi, but her history is not like Abe or Tsunoda's...she's everything but unbeatable

however, the Olympics are a different beast...don't expect that tournament to be "logical", the history of medal favourites flopping because of the pressure of that given day is so long...

I think that main pretendent in 73 kg is Heydarov from Azerbaijan: actually World and European Champion and number 1 in ranking. Lombardo lost in 2023 in final World Champ with Stump from Switzerland. For me it was quite a disappointment. I agree that both Lombardo and Bellandi are candidates for medals but there are a bigger favorites to win gold: current world champions: Heydarov and Wagner + possibly the Japanese in the Bellandi category. 

Edited by copravolley

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, phelps said:

obviously she's nopt anymore on top of her game, but, as I wrote, I was disappointed by how she lost to ahiè, I knew she was going to lose, but not like a beginner as she did Today

then, I didn't expect her to lose vs Taimazova the way she did...in this case, she had the fight under control and made another stupid mistake I never saw her doing in the past (and not even at the Europeans or in Astana 2 weeks ago)

that's disappointing, not the placing in itself

I hope she'll do better in Paris (if she has a good draw...not being seeded, she might even get Gahiè in round 1 and...good night!)

Polling came mainly to strengthen Italy in team tournament. When it became clear that neither Italian would qualify in this category: Pedrotti and Esposito, it was decided to took for Polling, who at a similar time lost her chance to qualify in the Ned squad. No one is counting on her individual success and I believe that if it weren't for Martina Esposito's injury, the transfer of the Dutchwoman would not have happened.

Edited by copravolley

Smart. She did not mention that in the interview I read.

You should not count her out; she’s not a clear medal favorite, but if she has her day and with  a little bit of luck with the draw and how the tournament develops, she could go far. 

in the early part of her career she really was a whirlwind, ending fights within seconds. But somehow she never managed to win a big medal. 

10 hours ago, phelps said:

Lombardo to me is a lock for Gold,

Oh boy... :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!