website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

disappointing outing for :ITA Toniolo...

OK, she had to fight vs a Japanese girl, but she wasn't Funakubo...and still she couldn't do literally anything against her

I still think also Capanni Dias should have got a chance here, instead of Favorini in the -63kg class

Piras will fight for bronze and this is 100% a qualification for Paris for him. He will meet the European champion from Georgia, so he will not be a favorite, but he can fight. In the semi-finals, it led to overtime and 2 penalties for the strong Japanese. The Italian's form is high. Toniolo was very unlucky, because the Japanese reached the semi-finals. With a better draw, she could count on a repechage. She has certain qualifications for the Olympic Games and she is young. This is more of a material for a 2028 Olympic medalist. In general the judo team looks good and I expects 11-12 Olympic qualifications. If Polling keeps QO from the rankings and not from CQ, there is little chance for Savita Russo to move up from CQ. Currently it takes place virtually but it is close. If the federation put at least 1/3 of the effort into wrestling as it does in judo, we would easily get 3-4 qualifications there.

4 hours ago, phelps said:

disappointing outing for :ITA Toniolo...

OK, she had to fight vs a Japanese girl, but she wasn't Funakubo...and still she couldn't do literally anything against her

I still think also Capanni Dias should have got a chance here, instead of Favorini in the -63kg class

We don't have a qualification in the 63 kg class yet but if we can it, I would sooner see Savita Russo in Paris. Russo is slightly higher in the ranking and is 6 years younger - she is 18. She is more promising and talented than Favorini.

23 minutes ago, copravolley said:

Piras will fight for bronze and this is 100% a qualification for Paris for him. He will meet the European champion from Georgia, so he will not be a favorite, but he can fight. In the semi-finals, it led to overtime and 2 penalties for the strong Japanese. The Italian's form is high. Toniolo was very unlucky, because the Japanese reached the semi-finals. With a better draw, she could count on a repechage. She has certain qualifications for the Olympic Games and she is young. This is more of a material for a 2028 Olympic medalist. In general the judo team looks good and I expects 11-12 Olympic qualifications. If Polling keeps QO from the rankings and not from CQ, there is little chance for Savita Russo to move up from CQ. Currently it takes place virtually but it is close. If the federation put at least 1/3 of the effort into wrestling as it does in judo, we would easily get 3-4 qualifications there.

tbh, I think by 2028 the 2 girls to follow in the -57kg class will be Capanni Dias and Carnà (if she goes up in that class, I don't think she will be capable of making the -52kg for a long stretch, even if I hope she's the next Giuffrida in that weight category)

Russo unfortunately has a very bad draw, if she can pass the 1st round (and it's already a big if), then she has to face a Japanese player in the round of #32

I don't think she gets enough points to be taken into consideration for the Continental spots

Piras has a lot of skills, he should be must confident in himself...sometimes it looks that he doesn't believe he can win a match :facepalm:

watched all of fights today and he's been great, especially in rd #1 vs Abuladze (he was also very lucky with the video refs calls against the Tajik man in the rd of #16, tbh)

I really hope he can grab this bronze medal, it would be a huge boost for him before Paris

30 minutes ago, copravolley said:

We don't have a qualification in the 63 kg class yet but if we can it, I would sooner see Savita Russo in Paris. Russo is slightly higher in the ranking and is 6 years younger - she is 18. She is more promising and talented than Favorini.

actually, I don't know what Favorini does in that team :rolleyes: :zip:

there are a lot of girls that deserve to be in the National Team before her :pope:

13 minutes ago, phelps said:

tbh, I think by 2028 the 2 girls to follow in the -57kg class will be Capanni Dias and Carnà (if she goes up in that class, I don't think she will be capable of making the -52kg for a long stretch, even if I hope she's the next Giuffrida in that weight category)

Russo unfortunately has a very bad draw, if she can pass the 1st round (and it's already a big if), then she has to face a Japanese player in the round of #32

I don't think she gets enough points to be taken into consideration for the Continental spots

Piras has a lot of skills, he should be must confident in himself...sometimes it looks that he doesn't believe he can win a match :facepalm:

watched all of fights today and he's been great, especially in rd #1 vs Abuladze (he was also very lucky with the video refs calls against the Tajik man in the rd of #16, tbh)

I really hope he can grab this bronze medal, it would be a huge boost for him before Paris

In Paris Lombardo has the best chance for a men's medal - even gold? + possibly Parlati but not really a gold, I think. Any other medal would have been a sensation. In women there are 3 real chances: Scutto, Giuffrida, Bellandi. I would take 3 medals, 1 of which would be gold blindly.

8 minutes ago, copravolley said:

In Paris Lombardo has the best chance for a men's medal - even gold? + possibly Parlati but not really a gold, I think. Any other medal would have been a sensation. In women there are 3 real chances: Scutto, Giuffrida, Bellandi. I would take 3 medals, 1 of which would be gold blindly.

I'm more optimist (and demanding)

Lombardo and Bellandi are the main favourites in their respective class in Paris, especially Lombardo not coming home with Gold would be an extreme disappointment (even if Lavrentiev is a fierce opponent)

then, Parlati is surely a medal candidate among the men, but I also think that Pirelli and Piras can make the podium, too, if they get a good draw

among the women, Scutto, Giuffrida, Polling and Tavano are all medal candidates, someone more than some others

however, I expect at least 6 medals with 2 golds in Paris

Posted (edited)

He allowed himself to be surprised :( I prefer to be realistic so as not to be disappointed later. 6 medals in judo in the one edition of the Olympic Games, including 2 gold, would be the best result in history for Italy. Suffice it to say that there were 2 bronze medals in Tokyo. To achieve such a result, we would have to take of 100% of the chances + get the draw perfectly. And remember that in each category there is Japan, France - the host team + a lot of great rivals, e.g. this Georgian in the 66 kg category.

Edited by copravolley