website statistics

GB Athletics

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I have to give you credit... for the consistency of the utter drivel that you continue to post. 

The selection policy for UK athletics was published in January

EUROPEAN ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS ROME SELECTION POLICY ANNOUNCED – UK Athletics

Sure the team will be small - let's be honest it's a stupid idea to have a continental championship in the same year as the Olympics so for the vast majority of our top athletes, it's probably not going to be on their calendar but to suggest that no British athletes are going to apply to compete in Rome is simply you spouting yet more rubbish.

For the sake of everyone's sanity, can you please stop spamming the threads with this nonsense. 

Exactly what I thought. My suspicion is the team might well be significant enough, with only the most obvious medal chances sitting out, and a few 'punts' from people trying to maybe get an OG Q- not to mention the number who will be there because a European medal is the limit of their ambition, but a viable one. Athletics, especially at the less long distance end, do not have the tapers of say swimming or cycling.

Of course 'Orangehair' is now getting into the 'my sources' bullshit which is clearly now now just daft opinhions, but straight up lying - and at that point, should be banned from the forum for deliberate wrecking of the threads

39 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Well I’ve been told by someone who knows someone who could make that criteria but most likely not Paris that they have been told they might not be much of a team as finances are bad bad bad. 

So, you've now gone from there being "no team in Rome" to "not much of a team" - there's a pretty fundamental difference between those two positions. 

Everyone is aware that the federation's finances are in a mess after chronic mismanagement but getting a team to Rome isn't going to make a material difference to the financial position but saying there will be no team based on comments from a friend of a friend is just clickbait.

Barcelona marathon takes place on Sunday - I think I am right in saying this has a reputation as being quite a fast course so could have been a good opportunity for non-London bound runners to try to get the standard, but unfortunately there are no Brits in the elite field for either men or women. 

10 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

So, you've now gone from there being "no team in Rome" to "not much of a team" - there's a pretty fundamental difference between those two positions. 

Everyone is aware that the federation's finances are in a mess after chronic mismanagement but getting a team to Rome isn't going to make a material difference to the financial position but saying there will be no team based on comments from a friend of a friend is just clickbait.

I did notice the BBC might not be showing it - they only promoted the Marathon and London Diamond League as pre Olympics coverage 

:GBR squad confirmed for the IAAF Cross Country World Championships later this month.

GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND TEAM ARE BELGRADE-BOUND FOR THE 2024 WORLD ATHLETICS CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS | British Athletics

By my quick tally, that's a team of 22 athletes and 9 support staff - broadly in line with the size of teams we sent to Bathurst last year and to Aarhus in 2019. Hopefully this will be enough to put a stop to the nonsense notion that UKA's financial woes will prevent us from sending a squad to Rome for the Europeans.

On 3/10/2024 at 10:35 AM, Orangehair43 said:

I did notice the BBC might not be showing it - they only promoted the Marathon and London Diamond League as pre Olympics coverage 

What else is on that week?  Imagine they would show at least RB coverage of the international feed without making a big production number of it.

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

:GBR squad confirmed for the IAAF Cross Country World Championships later this month.

GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND TEAM ARE BELGRADE-BOUND FOR THE 2024 WORLD ATHLETICS CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS | British Athletics

By my quick tally, that's a team of 22 athletes and 9 support staff - broadly in line with the size of teams we sent to Bathurst last year and to Aarhus in 2019. Hopefully this will be enough to put a stop to the nonsense notion that UKA's financial woes will prevent us from sending a squad to Rome for the Europeans.

Is  Innes Fitzgerald set to become this era's Jonathan Edwards/Eric Liddle?

Megan Keith gets the Olympic qualifying standard - in her 10000m debut :clap:- after finishing 4th and clocking a time of 30:36.84. She was 1 of only 4 women who made the Olympic standard in the race. 

For the other British women, Jess Warner Judd dropped out around 6500 mark whilst Amy Eloise Neale finished 18th with a time of 31:56.01.

On the men's side, all the Brits ended up with new PBs but ultimately came up short of the 27:00.00 Olympic standard. Patrick Dever was the top Brit finishing in 10th place and knocked15 seconds off his time to cross the line in 27:08.81 - apparently this is the second fastest British time behind Mo Farah. Dever already has the standard for 5000m so will be interesting to see if he tries to double up. 

Charlie Hicks set a new PB of 27:33.58 - around 7 seconds quicker than his previous best set in 2022 and around 24 seconds faster than he managed in the whole of 2023.

Jack Rowe finished with 27:54.55 - around 25 seconds faster than his previous best. 

12 hours ago, RussB said:

Megan Keith is a very exciting talent - so pleased she has made the time so early on this year !

I must admit, I'm quite excited to see the interaction over the next few years of Megan Keith and Innes Fitzgerald. You get a certain chemistry when two big talents come through at once (Jackson-Jarrett/Coe-Ovett/Sanderson-Whitbread/McColgan-Murray)