website statistics

Marathon Swimming at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

29 minutes ago, intoronto said:

This is essentially the point I was making about reallocations in canoe slalom. The hierarchy of the allocations can change the outcome. However, I'm not sure Israel has a winning argument here.

Israel Swimming finds this to be inconsistent with the qualification procedures, which calls for the unused host country spot to go to the next highest NOC not already qualified

don't see that in the language regarding the host country quota. The text (from the version I viewed [25.01.2023]) states, "next highest placed athlete(s)." It doesn't seem to restrict NOCs with one quota from being allocated a second.

In terms of the reallocation of Oceania's quota, I do think they are correct about the language. However, I think they are wrong about the hierarchy. Oceania's quota technically can't be allocated at the same time as the other quotas, since it doesn't have some of the contingencies bestowed to those. I believe it would trigger the formal reallocation process outlined in section F, which (in my analysis of the document and results) would result in the quota being awarded to :CAN.

Of course, this post is based on my interpretation of the qualification document, which could be flawed.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...

https://www.worldaquatics.com/news/3952855/paris-2024-marathon-swimming-re-allocation-of-quota-position

Does anyone know why now 23 women marathon swimmers are qualified? All 22 accepted their quota and yet there was a re-allocation to :PER?

Edited by Arnoud Beldman

1 hour ago, Arnoud Beldman said:

https://www.worldaquatics.com/news/3952855/paris-2024-marathon-swimming-re-allocation-of-quota-position

Does anyone know why now 23 women marathon swimmers are qualified? All 22 accepted their quota and yet there was a re-allocation to :PER?

Yes, that's a mistery :mumble:

I have asked World Aquatics on X :d

10 hours ago, Arnoud Beldman said:

9 hours ago, Sindo said:

Yes, that's a mistery :mumble:

I have asked World Aquatics on X :d

A contradiction regarding how the host country quota gets reallocated is my interpretation.

Paragraph D1.2 of the qualification document mentions that an unused host country quota ends up to the next highest placed athlete from 2024 World Championships. This would mean Brazil, as their athlete finished 14th.

However, paragraph F2 states that an unused host country place is reallocated to the next highest placed NOC from 2024 World Championships, provided that the NOC is not yet qualified. If this is applied after handing out continental quotas, Peru is first on the line. 

Peru's federation first reported that they got a quota on 13 March, much earlier than world aquatics. 

31 minutes ago, maestro said:

A contradiction regarding how the host country quota gets reallocated is my interpretation.

Paragraph D1.2 of the qualification document mentions that an unused host country quota ends up to the next highest placed athlete from 2024 World Championships. This would mean Brazil, as their athlete finished 14th.

However, paragraph F2 states that an unused host country place is reallocated to the next highest placed NOC from 2024 World Championships, provided that the NOC is not yet qualified. If this is applied after handing out continental quotas, Peru is first on the line. 

Peru's federation first reported that they got a quota on 13 March, much earlier than world aquatics. 

Probably that's it. They are giving an extra quota to Peru, simply because they don't know how to be clear in their documents. :lol: