website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

28 minutes ago, up and down said:

Latest data as of today, 24th April, 2020.

Top best recovery rate (These countries have recorded more than 60% recovery rate)

Data counted only for countries with more than 1000 cases.

Country

Total
Cases

New
Cases

Total
Deaths

New
Deaths

Total
Recovered

Active
Cases

Percentage recovered from total cases

1. Thailand

+15

+0

87.25 %

2. Iceland

+0

+0

84.35 %

3. South Korea

+6

+0

78.59 %

4. Austria

+69

+0

79.39 %

5. Australia

+8

+4

76.94 %

6. Iran

+1,168

+93

75.51 %

7. New Zealand

+5

+1

75.21 %

8. Switzerland

+181

+2

71.83 %

9. Iraq

+0

+0

69.83 %

10. Germany

+264

+0

69.63 %

11. Hong Kong

+0

+0

67.47 %

12. Denmark

+137

+9

67.31 %

13. Malaysia

+88

+1

64.36 %

14. Azerbaijan

+44

+1

63.63 %

Didn‘t China have around 80k cases and 3k deaths? If that is the case, then they should have a very high recovery rate by now, probably north of 90%?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

10 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

It‘s the negative flynn effect at work. There are many possible reasons. Recently i read that children nowadays have a shorter attention span than goldfish...

I guess the old saying „Use it or lose it“ works here too. When you don‘t need to use your brain to survive, it will slowly atrophy. I guess it also doesn‘t help that poor People on average have More children.

You are right.

In :FRO from total 187 cases, 178 already recovered, means that there are just 9 acitve cases, well done :)

Only one active case is for now in :NCA :FLK :PYF :ESH

Also in :YEM the only noted case recovered as well, which means that Yemen joins to the list of "clean" countries/teritories, which includes now :MTN:LCA:GRL 

Meanwhile in :POL we have 381 new cases and 40 new deaths (the biggest number of daily cases of deaths since beginning of pandemic, which includes a 18yo(!!) boy :()

Total numbers are 10,892 cases, 494 deaths and 1944 recoveries.

Today also we had the biggest number of daily done tests since beginning (14,482)

Today it was announced that all schools and universities will remain closed until 24th May at least, final exams of high schools will take place between 8 to 29 June, in primary schools between 16 to 18 June

"Second stage" of lifting restrictions will be introducted in first half of May, second stage includes re-opening all hotels, re-opening building stores in weekends and some museums, public libraries and art galleries with some restrictions like limited number of people in those places and keeping 2m distance.

Can someone explain to me, how some countries are thinking of opening schools with a potential of millions of people interacting. But having football matches, behind closed doors which would involve only a couple hundred people are God forbidden.

Saw it for the Netherlands today @heywoodu, where some schools should open next month, but the Eredivisie is canceled and sport is banned until September.

Hundred of schools > 18 football clubs  

36 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Can someone explain to me, how some countries are thinking of opening schools with a potential of millions of people interacting. But having football matches, behind closed doors which would involve only a couple hundred people are God forbidden.

Saw it for the Netherlands today @heywoodu, where some schools should open next month, but the Eredivisie is canceled and sport is banned until September.

Hundred of schools > 18 football clubs  

Because several studies have shown children are much less prone to spreading the virus than initially thought. Cases of adults spreading it to children are significantly more common than children spreading it to adults. Experts were already early on saying that closing schools might not have much of an effect (scientists are putting the effect at maybe even less than 1%), but it was mostly done due to political pressure (a rare example of a coronavirus-related decision here being taken based on torches-and-pitchforks-politics instead of science).

Anyhow, that's basically the main reasoning.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

@dharang

Here is the latest news to clear the air.

Donald Trump clarified and said disinfectant remark is a sarcastic remark.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/494519-trump-says-remarks-about-heat-light-disinfectant-were-sarcastic

Trump says remarks about heat, light, disinfectant were sarcastic

President Trump on Friday said he was being sarcastic when he suggested multiple times a day earlier that scientists should consider exposing the body to light, heat and disinfectants as a potential treatment for the coronavirus.

"I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen," Trump told reporters at an Oval Office bill signing.

"I was asking a sarcastic — and a very sarcastic question — to the reporters in the room about disinfectant on the inside," the president continued. "But it does kill it, and it would kill it on the hands and that would make things much better. That was done in the form of a sarcastic question to the reporters."

When a journalist in the Oval Office pointed out that Trump had turned to experts next to the stage when he first raised the idea on Thursday, the president claimed he was asking those officials "whether or not sun and disinfectant on the hands … can help us."

The president's explanation drew skepticism among those who watched the briefing, where Trump directly turned to other government officials to ask about the idea.

"It didn't seem like it was coming off as sarcastic when he was talking and turning to Dr. Birx on the side," Fox News anchor Bret Baier said on air after Trump's walk-back was reported.

Trump on Thursday latched on to a presentation from a Department of Homeland Security official who detailed initial findings that the coronavirus deteriorates more quickly when subjected to higher levels of heat, humidity and ultraviolet rays from the sun.

"So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn't been checked but you're going to test it," Trump said. "And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside of the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way.

And I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting."

Trump also asked if there was a way to use disinfectants on the body "by injection inside or almost a cleaning."

Asked later if it was irresponsible to give Americans the impression that going outside amid the pandemic would be safe based on the findings, Trump turned to Deborah Birx, a physician coordinating the White House response to the pandemic, and inquired about using the light and heat as a treatment.

"Deborah, have you ever heard of that? The heat and the light, relative to certain viruses, yes, but relative to this virus?"

"Not as a treatment," Birx replied. "I mean, certainly ... when you have a fever, it helps your body respond. But not as — I've not seen heat or light."

"I think it’s a great thing to look at," Trump said.

The president's remarks were widely and quickly panned by medical experts, elected officials and private companies who warned Americans not to ingest chemicals.

Former Food and Drug Administration head Scott Gottlieb said there's "no circumstance" in which an individual should inject themselves with a disinfectant.

The company that makes Lysol also warned on Friday against ingesting its products. 

The White House sought to pin the backlash on the media, issuing a statement that accused the press of taking Trump's remarks out of context.

“President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasized again during yesterday’s briefing," press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said.