website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

41 minutes ago, Styrka said:

Wonderful World Championships, and it was very nice to follow it with reading all Totallympics users comments! :yes:clap:

And well done to all the Hungarian & other fans who turned out to keep the stadium full. :beer:

23 minutes ago, dodge said:

Overall a great event. Several outstanding athletes, some up and comers to watch for next year and some excellent finals throughout the week. Great TV

A lot of purists will disagree, but removing the medal ceremonies from the main stadium has proven a brilliant idea. Those countries who want to show them absolutely can, but the flow of the event is significantly better for not stopping constantly for 49 anthems. This was a noticeably 'tight' championships - and seems to have hit a good sweet spot with a lot of casual fans too. Coe has said that this 'experiment' has ensured that ceremonies will probably never be in the main stadium again for a World or Europeans (though probably will stay for Olympics). They will now always be separate, and countries who want to see them - i.e. the medalists countries - still can.

Femke's fall and redemption have, perversely, really helped make the mixed 4x4 feel like an important event for the first time. The racing, largely, has been fantastic, with genuine uncertainty in most events.

All in all solid 8.5-9 out of 10

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

So with the flurry of world championships and Olympic quotas over, we can all have a week to relax watching the US Open ready for the Rowing World Championships next week right? 

Absolutely no, we have the (amazing) jumping European championship in Milan :p

I really enjoyed these championships.

Politics aside (because I have some real problems with the current Hungarian government) I think Budapest is in a pretty good spot to win a 2036 Olympic bid if they want to go for it, with two very successful aquatic worlds and now there athletics worlds going so well.

6 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Yep, although September is another really busy month in terms of qualification. Things get a litle bit more sedate after that for a few months.

Then we finally go full-on into the winter season though :hyper: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

A lot of purists will disagree, but removing the medal ceremonies from the main stadium has proven a brilliant idea. Those countries who want to show them absolutely can, but the flow of the event is significantly better for not stopping constantly for 49 anthems. This was a noticeably 'tight' championships - and seems to have hit a good sweet spot with a lot of casual fans too. Coe has said that this 'experiment' has ensured that ceremonies will probably never be in the main stadium again for a World or Europeans (though probably will stay for Olympics). They will now always be separate, and countries who want to see them - i.e. the medalists countries - still can.

Femke's fall and redemption have, perversely, really helped make the mixed 4x4 feel like an important event for the first time. The racing, largely, has been fantastic, with genuine uncertainty in most events.

All in all solid 8.5-9 out of 10

Now that you mention it...did they even have medal ceremonies? :yikes: 

Bit of a shame it wasn't part of the program at all, but if they'd do it the next day like the weird trend seems to be, it doesn't really matter anyway since the emotions aren't fresh anymore anyway then :p 

I do agree the championships in itself was, as per usual, a fantastic week of athletics :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!