website statistics

Canada's 2024 Olympics Qualification Discussion Road to Paris 2024

12 minutes ago, Surlympics said:

So is it just the semi final losers that get a chance at the world qualification tournament or can Linda Morais compete as well? 

All weight classes are open entry (I’m pretty sure), so it depends on which events Wrestling Canada decides to send athletes in. I’m not exactly sure if Morais (and A. Godinez) will be our representatives at the World Qualification Tournament, given they failed to secure a quota at a much easier opportunity. Probably will go with Di Bacco (in women’s 68kg) and Wiecker/Stewart (in women’s 53kg)

Edited by Josh

10 minutes ago, Surlympics said:

I still think morais is the best bet it was just unlucky she lost by fall. And she is a world champion  

I agree. She’d certainly be in with more of a chance at Olympic medal, should Canada eventually secure a women’s 68kg quota. But there’s not much separating the two. 

Edit: But normally, if an athlete fails to secure a wrestling Olympic quota at a continental tournament, they normally switch out the athlete for the Final World Qualification Tournament. Not always the case of course. @Surlympics

Edited by Josh

16 minutes ago, Surlympics said:

I still think morais is the best bet it was just unlucky she lost by fall. And she is a world champion  

She was a WC in a weight category not at the Olympics. 

I think  they need to do another trials before deciding who goes to the final qualifier.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll do another quota prediction sometime this week. Im not feeling very optimistic about our chances in anything, with all the missed opportunities so far so the number may be on the lower end. 

I’ll update this in parts, I can’t be bothered to do it all right now. When it’s fully finished I’ll quote myself so all of you can see (and share your opinions)

Archery (2) - We’ve already secured a men’s quota. We should secure a women’s quota through the Pan Am Qualifier. 

Artistic Swimming (8) - Already qualified a full team. 

Athletics (43) - Additional 27 athletes through the OQS and Road To Paris Ranking. 

Full Breakdown:

Men’s 100m- Andre DeGrasse, Brendon Rodney, Jerome Blake (+1)

Men’s 200m- Andre DeGrasse, Aaron Brown, Brendon Rodney

Men’s 400m- Christopher Morales-Williams

Men’s 800m- Marco Arop

Men’s 1500m- Charles Philibert-Thiboutot, Kieran Lumb (+1)

Men’s 5000m- Benjamin Flanagan, Mo Ahmed

Men’s 10000m- Mo Ahmed

Men’s 3000m Steeplechase- Jean-Simon Desgagnes (+1)

Men’s Marathon- Cameron Levins, Rory Linkletter

Men’s 20km Race Walk- Evan Dunfee

Men’s 4x100m Relay- Andre DeGrasse, Brendon Rodney, Aaron Brown, Jerome Blake, Malachi Murray (+1)

Men’s Decathlon- Damian Warner, Pierce LePage

Men’s Hammer Throw- Ethan Kazberg, Adam Keenan, Rowan Hamilton (+2)

Women’s 100m- Khamica Bingham (+1)

Women’s 200m- Jacqueline Madogo (+1)

Women’s 400m- Madeline Price, Grace Konrad, Kyra Constantine (+3)

Women’s 800m- Jazz Shukla (+1)

Women’s 1500m- Gabriela De Bues Stafford, Lucia Stafford (+2)

Women’s 5000m- Julie An Staeli, Brianna Scott (+2)

Women’s 100m Hurdles- Mariam Abdul-Rashid, Michelle Harrison (+2)

Women’s 400m Hurdles- Brooke Overholt, Savannah Sutherland, Sage Watson (+3)

Women’s 3000m Steeplechase- Celi McCabe, Regan Yee, Grace Fetherstonhaugh (+3)
Women’s 4x400m Relay- Zoe Sherar, Aiyana Stiverne, Savannah Sutherland, Sage Watson, Kyra Constantine, Grace Konrad (+2)

Women’s Pole Vault- Alysha Newman, Anicka Newell (+1)

Women’s Marathon- Malindi Elmore

Women’s Hammer Throw- Camryn Rogers, Jillian Weir (+1)

Women’s Shot Put- Sarah Mitton

I left a bunch of names off. No Brandon McBride, Justyn Knight, Ben Priesner, Django Lovett, Natasha Wodak among others. 

Breaking (1) - Philip Kim has already qualified. Tiffany Leung has a decent chance through the OQS (I think?) but I don’t see her qualifying and frankly I couldn’t care. 

Badminton (4) - Athletes in men’s singles, women’s singles, and men’s doubles. United States takes the continental quotas in women’s doubles and mixed doubles unfortunately.

Boxing (3-5) - Tammara Thibeault and Wyatt Sanford have already qualified. Watched Alexis Barriere for the first time this week, and damn he’s good. Such a shame that he missed out on qualifying today on a split decision. I have him qualifying at the World Olympic Qualifying Tournament, along with either Charlie Cavanaugh (if she gets the nod over Kali) or Scarlett Delgado. 

Basketball (28) - Women’s 3x3 team should join our men’s and women’s teams in Paris. But then again, I said the same thing about Erin Brooks in surfing, so…

Canoe Slalom (2-3) - United States and Brazil have qualified in both women’s C1/K1, so we should secure quotas at the Pan American Qualifier. Maybe we can qualify in either men’s C1/K1 as well. 

Canoe Sprint (18) - Additional boats in men’s K2-500m, men’s C1-1000m, men’s C2-500m, and women’s K2-500m, but really it depends on the squad that we send to the Pan American Qualifier. 

Cycling (13-21) - One each in men’s and women’s mountain biking, and women’s BMX racing. Men’s and women’s sprint teams in track cycling, and maybe our women’s and men’s team pursuit? 

Equestrian (9) - Full team already qualified. 

Diving (5) - Was expecting more quotas, but our top women in 3m completely flopped at Worlds both this and last year (except in synchro at Fukuoka). I was also hoping for Kate Miller to grab a quota in women’s 10m but not as disappointing. 

Fencing (10-12) - We’ve already qualified in men’s team sabre, and men’s and women’s team foil. With only one sabre WC still to go, Pamela Brind’Amour is in a great position to qualify herself individually, she’s 15 points clear of the next highest eligible Pan American athlete (the rest are all Americans, who have already qualified a team) and for a WC there’s only 32 points available. In men’s and women’s epee, while our athletes will probably be the favourites heading into the Pan American Qualifier, it’s very tight between a couple of countries, I could see it going either way. 

Edit 2: March 18

Football (18) - Women’s team has already qualified.

Golf (4) - Two men and two women. Leaning towards Corey Conners and Nick Taylor for the men. For the women, it’s probably going to be Maude Aimee Leblanc and Brooke Henderson. 

Gymnastics (11) - Men’s and women’s artistic gymnastics teams have already qualified. We’ve also secured a quota in women’s trampoline. I don’t see us securing a men’s trampoline quota by looking at the Olympic Ranking unfortunately. 

Judo (5-6) - Quotas in men’s -73kg, men’s -81kg, men’s -100kg, women’s -57kg, and women’s -63kg for sure. Maybe one of men’s -90kg/men’s -66kg/women’s -52kg. 

Rowing (24) - We’ve already qualified in women’s eight and women’s lightweight double sculls. I have us qualifying women’s quadruple sculls and men’s eight boats at the Final Regatta. 

Rugby Sevens (12) - Already qualified a women’s team, and there’s pretty much no chance for the men. 

Sailing (7) - Men’s ICLA7 through the last chance regatta (I’m not feeling very optimistic however) in addition to our already secured quotas in women’s kite, women’s ICLA6, women’s 49er FX, and men’s 49er. 

Skateboarding (4) - Ryan Decenzo, Cordano Russell, and Matt Berger (before I was thinking Micky Papa) in men’s street, and Fay Ebert in women’s park. 

Sport Climbing (0-1) - Maybe one of Sean McColl/Alannah Yip?

Surfing (1) - Was expecting three surfers (adding Erin Brooks and Cody Young), instead we only qualify one. Disaster. 

Table Tennis (4) - Men’s Team has already qualified. We should secure a women’s quota through the Pan American Qualifier. 

Taekwondo (1) - Taekwondo Canada made some stupid choices on athlete selection for the Pan American Qualifier, so looks like Skylar Park in women’s -57kg will be our only representative. 

Triathlon (4) - Two men’s quotas and two women’s quotas, therefore qualifying us for the mixed team relay. 

Tennis (6) - Felix Auger-Aliassime (men’s singles), Leylah Fernandez (women’s singles), and Gaby Dabrowski (women’s doubles) through the Olympic Ranking. PR for Milos Raonic, Denis Shapovalov, and Bianca Andresscu. 

Volleyball (16) - We’ve already qualified a men’s volleyball team and Melissa Humana Parades/Brandie Wilkerson in women’s beach volleyball.  A second women’s beach (either Pavan/McBain or Bansley/Bukovec) volleyball pairing should join them through NORCECA. I don’t have much optimism for either Schachter/Dearing or our women’s volleyball team. 

Weightlifting (1-2) - Quota in women’s 59kg, and possibly men’s 89kg. 

Wrestling (7) - Additional quotas in women’s 68kg and women’s 53kg. We’ve already secured quotas in women’s 57kg, women’s 62kg, women’s 76kg, men’s 86kg freestyle, and men’s 125kg freestyle.  

Waterpolo (12) - Women’s team has already qualified. 

Edited by Josh