website statistics

Tennis 2016 Discussion Thread

rybak

Btw, I feel so sad Liechtenstein got relegated to Euro/African Zone Group III for 2017 :cry: They beat Austria, probably the best team this year and lost to Egypt 2-1. Egypt with only two rubbers won in the preliminary round finished ahead of Liechtenstein because of H2H (LIE had 5-4)... 

Euro/African Zone Group II

Preliminary Round

Group A

1. Denmark Ties: 2-0, Rubbers: 6-0

2. Lithuania Ties: 1-1, Rubbers: 2-4

3. Finland Ties: 0-2, Rubbers: 1-5

Group B

1. Austria Ties: 2-1, Rubbers: 5-4

2. Bosnia and Herzegovina Ties: 2-1, Rubbers: 6-3

3. Egypt Ties: 1-2, Rubbers: 2-7

4. Liechtenstein Ties: 1-2, Rubbers: 5-4

Promotional Play-Offs:

:DEN vs :BIH Denmark leads 1-0 at the moment

:LTU vs :AUT Austria already won 2-0

Relegation Play-Offs:

:EGY vs :FIN Egypt already won 2-0, as expected. :FIN and :LIE relegated to Euro/African Zone Group III 2017

And in my opinion Liechtenstein could beat all the teams from Group A... Really, really tough luck for Vogt and Von Deichmann :(

In Asian/Oceanian Zone Group II Bahrain won only one game in 11 rubbers played :red:

Philippines advanced to Zone Group I 2017, defeated Singapore 2-0.

I was surprised with Singapore performance. I thought even Pacific Oceania had stronger team with Tere-Apisah (PNG) and Carruthers (SAM) in the team.

Final standing:

1. Philippines

2. Singapore

3. Hong Kong

4. Malaysia

5. Indonesia

6. Pacific Oceania

7. Sri Lanka

8. Iran

9. Pakistan

10. Bahrain

11 Kyrgyzstan

1 minute ago, Henry_Leon said:

:ESP vs :ITA (without Errani, today)

1set : Muguruza - Schiavone 5-5

It is such a pity Spain and Italy (and Australia-USA, Germany-Romania) are playing in Play-Offs... All are rather strong teams and should be part of the elite division... I think Fed Cup should have 16 teams in World Group, and to get rid of World Group II....

In Euro/African Zone Group III Luxembourg and Norway got promoted :clap:

I am sad Montenegro and Greece didn't succeed, but am extremely happy for Norway. The country is getting stronger in tennis lately. They have two decent ITF-level players (Eikeri and Stokke) and two boys - Viktor Durasovic (born in 1996) and Casper Ruud (born in 1998, son of Christian Ruud who was #39 on the ATP in 1995), probably top 100 in the following years.

Qualifications for Barcelona ATP 500 are underway. Interesting news - Nicola Kuhn (born in 2000) is one of the tennis' wunderkinds and he got wildcard for qualifications... Background story... His father is German and mother is Russian, he was born in Innsbruck (AUT) and has been living in Spain since he was three months old... Germany offered to pay his tennis expenses since Spanish tennis federation couldn't so he played under German flag. Now he wants to play for Spain and has Spanish flag beside his name on ITF... German men's tennis is still in crisis, the only prospect they have is Zverev and remaining top 200 players are in their veteran years... But truth to be talked, neither Spanish tennis can be satisfied with young generations...