website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

3 hours ago, Laraja said:

So IOC is gonna improve the number of quotas to 20k

As I understand it, as in '84, LA is a completely  privately funded bid, using almost exclusively existing venues. If they are willing to pay for it themselves, I'm pretty certain IOC will let them have what they want, and any other future host that gets worried, they'll just say - that's LA, different rules there.

Recall IOC was apparently giving serious consideration to a three week Games with 15000 at one point. 10,500 was never set in stone.

That said, much as it will make LA an absolute festival to enjoy, it does put pressure quietly on future hosts - when personally I'd have prepared some negotiation for a more slim line programme, with alternating team sports.

52 minutes ago, orangeman said:

All these sports look good, and make sense in an American context (they have the infrastructure already to host a baseball/softball tournament, along with the other sports). But flag football is pretty silly to me. Maybe I'm an old stuffy man, but I've embraced the introduction of other new sports. Breaking and now flag football just reduce the prestige of the Olympics to me. Skateboarding and surfing also weird, but I see what they're doing. Anyway, happy for cricket, squash and lacrosse of this works out.

Personally, I'd rather have arena / indoor football than flag - And will Aus/Brisbane now start agitating for Rugby League 9's and AFL (Irish medal chances there!)?

51 minutes ago, MHSN said:

am i the only one who hates this idea of having a sport only for 1 edition to satisfy the host country ?!

No I hate it too. The Olympic program having relative consistency is really important to making the event prestigious imo.

Of course it has to evolve, but when an event is added it should be a long term decision imo.

1 minute ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Personally, I'd rather have arena / indoor football than flag - And will Aus/Brisbane now start agitating for Rugby League 9's and AFL (Irish medal chances there!)?

Honestly, most people see that on a similar level to flag football probably. Flag has the benefit of being more accessible for non-traditional countries in the sport, but it is very simplified from tackle football.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Though one thing I must say, new sports must be added during the application process so nations can vote on it in the event of multiple host applications, not after the host has been awarded

I think this is a good idea 

no surprise would happen between the awarding date and the new sports announcement date .. so why not it’s clear from day one and votes go to a host + sports