website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

22 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Initially, the additional 

What a load of BS... Originally, the additional sports - who were part of the Agenda 2020 program whose sole purpose was to cut costs for the hosts - were a neat idea on paper. They were supposedly be a net-postive for the host using local sports popularity to ease the pain of hosting. Now LA, will have to build a freaking cricket stadium somewhere.

It was never reported, but it's also very easy to assume Breaking entry for 2024 was IOC Bach's idea and only his.

Basically, these additional sports have been turn into a way of expanding the olympic program and adding new sports, potentially huge cash makers for the organisation, without the political cost of dropping other established olympic sports.

https://variety.com/2022/sports/asia/shah-rukh-khan-knight-riders-cricket-stadium-los-angeles-1235255440/

I think what sealed the deal was the fact that there is already a plan to build a cricket stadium in LA

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

If you get cricket in in'28, it vastly increases the chances of India bidding for - and getting - a 36 Olympics - and indeed South Africa getting a 40 Olympics - and if cricket is in 28, 32, 36 and 40, you're never getting rid of it, except possibly in a swap with baseball in those hosts who much favour the baseball.

Baseball was a full medal sport between 1992 and 2008, but IOC had no problem removing it.

2 hours ago, Noorderling29 said:

Baseball was a full medal sport between 1992 and 2008, but IOC had no problem removing it.

Although that was because having 1200 of the world's best players not being able to play embarrassed the IOC

5 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

There was talk a while back of a THREE week Olympics, that would be possible because athletes would no longer stay in the village the whole time, but would move out as their sports concluded - apparently there would be 'mini' closing ceremonies each weekend to allow departing athletes a big last night, and Swimming, Gymnastics and Athletics would be used as the week long 'tent-poles', with swimming overlapping with gymnastics on the second weekend, and gymnastics overlapping with athletics on the third. The idea seemed to be that there were massive cost savings to be made in having an athletes village of about 7000 - even if you had to fill, empty and refill the village twice.

3 full week Olympics is probably the only good news i have seen. It's something i have said should happen for a while now. It will suck for the athletes that they will be kicked out earlier, but if we can get a more sparsed schedule i can live with that. 

Every host including their backyard niche sports is a different beer...

1 hour ago, Noorderling29 said:

Sure, so the length of service apparantly is not a decisive factor

Modern Pentathlon has been on the Olympic programme for 120 years, was invented by two very important people in the IOC but might be thrown out of the Games on Friday...

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

Although that was because having 1200 of the world's best players not being able to play embarrassed the IOC

If the ICC and BCCI play ball, cricket, once in, will go nowhere. Baseball was entirely scuppered by MLB in its routine lack of interest in growing the sport.

There is no guarantee ICC or BCCI will playball, but it would be sensible if they did. The Olympics may very well be cricket's entry door to China and the US

5 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Modern Pentathlon has been on the Olympic programme for 120 years, was invented by two very important people in the IOC but might be thrown out of the Games on Friday...

Modern pentathlon is a sport that has almost nothing going for it other than it’s legacy (bonus points for it being Egypt’s best Olympic sport).

It’s a sport that adds so little value it had it’s own tier the last time the IOC did a cost-benefit analysis.

15 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

3 full week Olympics is probably the only good news i have seen. It's something i have said should happen for a while now. It will suck for the athletes that they will be kicked out earlier, but if we can get a more sparsed schedule i can live with that. 

I think there IS a space for local niche sports (there was even a Gaelic football Olympic tournament way back I think) but they should be recognised for what they are - demonstration sports. I could live with Gridiron being represented with a one off USA-Canada exhibition - as a demonstration sport. Personally, if you want in the actual Games, you should take the World Games route and test your offering. The Olympics will always make exceptions for 'major' sports that happen not to be on the program - tennis, golf and cricket don't have to use the World Games route.

I could with the French showing off boules, or the Australians AFL, or even the Americans gridiron, as long as they were honest bout what they were doing.

19 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

The thing with three weeks is you could 'reuse' venues as well as the athletes village - especially for sports that are clearly 'connected' - I could imagine three weeks would allow a good even spread of wrestling freestyle, greco roman and judo, for example, or muay Thai, karate and taekwondo, reusing the same spaces again and again rather than new builds.