website statistics

Men's Rugby Sevens Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

The draw for the knockouts would set Spain vs GBR and Canada vs RSA for the 2 semi finals, if all others went to form etc. Spain are capable of pulling a shock for me against GBR.

Though still think that RSA will have too much for everyone else. GBR are seemingly getting worse year on year, which is pretty damning considering our resource advantage. 

Just now, dodge said:

Don’t think any of them are guaranteed to win. 4 very flaky teams. Obviously GB are still heavy favourites 

Several of these teams are good enough at their best they should already have qualified. They are here specifically because they are flakey. (The Irish, to be fair, are not flakey, hence they aren't here). The one that manages to contain its own flakiness best will probably win.

Sure. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either SA or GB win a medal, but it also wouldn’t be a surprise when one or both doesn’t qualify 

for the record so far this seaisn

Dubai

:RSA 1st

:GBR 10th

:ESP 11th

:CAN 12th

Cape Town

:RSA 6th

:CAN 7th

:GBR 9th

:ESP 10th

Perth

:RSA 5th

:ESP 8th

:GBR 11th

Vancouver 

:GBR 7th

:RSA 9th

:ESP 11th

:CAN 12th

LA

:GBR 2nd

:ESP 4th

:RSA 11th

HK

:RSA 6th

:ESP 8th

:GBR 11th

South Africa on top in 4 of the 6. Spain 2nd in 3 of last 4. Only one event where 2 of these 4 weren’t the bottom two

• 2 weeks later...

Adding Singapore's results to the table

:GBR 3rd

:RSA 6th

:ESP 10th

Okay, I'm slightly less defeatist about :GBR after this weekend. They thumped both France and Australia, as well as being a botched pass away from beating Ireland in the SF.

I'm still worried about South Africa finding a way to win (too many actual rugby world cups have conditioned me to assume they'll *always* find a way) but I at least think GBR should be competitive.

Honestly, it's a shame both teams won't be in Paris. Partially their fault, partially the way the qualification system is set up.

2 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Honestly, it's a shame both teams won't be in Paris. Partially their fault, partially the way the qualification system is set up.

There’s absolutely no excuse for South Africa losing to Kenya, they should’ve won their continental championships. Don’t blame the qualification system for that. 

2 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Adding Singapore's results to the table

:GBR 3rd

:RSA 6th

:ESP 10th

Okay, I'm slightly less defeatist about :GBR after this weekend. They thumped both France and Australia, as well as being a botched pass away from beating Ireland in the SF.

I'm still worried about South Africa finding a way to win (too many actual rugby world cups have conditioned me to assume they'll *always* find a way) but I at least think GBR should be competitive.

I really hope they qualify for the Olympics.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Josh said:

There’s absolutely no excuse for South Africa losing to Kenya, they should’ve won their continental championships. Don’t blame the qualification system for that. 

That's why I said it is partially their fault.

But the qualifying system also has given us a place for Japan (who are about 6th on the Challenger circuit) and Uruguay (who are at least winning the Challenger circuit at the moment). Both RSA and GBR would expect to beat those two sides 99 times out of 100.

It is what it is. It's just an example of increased continental representation ahead of the best ranked teams. It's not the only sport which has made that choice. In some sports where there are much bigger quotas it is less noticeable but when you have only 12 teams in total it's more obvious.

Edited by Epic Failure