website statistics

Fencing Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

11 hours ago, Makedonas said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5BL6CxMczW/?img_index=1

So many famous fencers commenting on this post, it's nice to see how they support each other! Poor Despina :cry:

Sad for her, but I don't get the whole idea of "let's change the system because of one specific case".

The Olympics is also about have more nations represented. Having said that, I would like to see a bigger fencing draw, like 48? And then we could have a rule of "if you are in top10 you can have 2 individual athletes qualified", like in Badminton for instance or tennis doubles

18 minutes ago, Jur said:

I'm sad for her but the post is giving sore loser. And she knew about the qualification process years in advanced, nothing is new.

and i don't get how a country with 2 of the 5 best athletes in the world can't get a reasonable team. 

On 3/26/2024 at 9:21 AM, Faramir said:

First part of the qualification is over, now we'll have:

1) Zonal Qualification tournaments in April - this will bring the total to 34 athletes per individual event;

2) since France won't need to use any host quota place, 8 Universality Places decided by the Tripartite Commission. That's a lot of places, especially considering that the few decent fencers from eligible countries could be qualified on their own by then;

3) reallocation of unused Universality Places:

"if the Tripartite Commission is not able to allocate Universality Place(s), such unallocated Place(s) will be attributed by the FIE to the next highest-ranked eligible athlete in the Individual Senior Adjusted Official Ranking (AOR) as of 1 April 2024, across all weapon and all FIE Zones, but strictly respecting the following:
- The maximum number of athletes in each individual event (37) and

- The NOC must not have any athlete already qualified in the corresponding individual event "

The following would be the first fencers in line for such reallocations - of course some of them will likely qualify first through their Zonal QT

Reveal hidden contents

I think some AIN athletes could  benefit from that. I can see they giving out 4 tripartite and 4 AIN quotas or something like that.

7 minutes ago, Pasolini said:

I think some AIN athletes could  benefit from that. I can see they giving out 4 tripartite and 4 AIN quotas or something like that.

No way. It's clearly stated that unused tripartite quotas go to the highest ranked eligible fencers.

5 minutes ago, Faramir said:

No way. It's clearly stated that unused tripartite quotas go to the highest ranked eligible fencers.

clearly stated does not mean much hahaha but yeah, i think anyway they would be given WC so it would be an extra.

2 hours ago, Pasolini said:

and i don't get how a country with 2 of the 5 best athletes in the world can't get a reasonable team. 

it might happen...

and it's not even the first time it actually happens

in Rio, Italy didn't qualify the women's epee team despite having Fiamingo (undisputed no.1 in the world at that time, world champion and world cup champion in 2014 and 2015) and Navarria (who in 2016 was the no.2 in the world behind Fiamingo and had to miss those Olympic Games because of that same rule)

p.s. to qualify the team, it's not enough being a "reasonable" team, in Europe you generally need to be among the 5 best teams in the world to qualify (look at Germany in the men's team sabre...they're no.6 in the world and despite that, they're out)

fencing is one of the sports with the hardest qualifying pathways, it's easier to win a medal when you're in than qualifying for the Games