website statistics

Road Cycling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

On 10/25/2023 at 8:19 PM, Agger said:

Just took a look at the rankings again. There's a ranking for the 17th and one for the 18th, On the 17th Denmark is 10th while it's Canada on the 18th.

In the latest rankings Denmark is back at 10th.

I guess nothing is certain before we have confirmation from UCI, but it should be the 17th counting, right?

The ranking from the 17th is the final ranking for the 2023 season and is the one that will be used by UCI to allocate the quotas.

The ranking list from the 18th is the first ranking for the 2024 season. In theory they should be the same but for some reason the ranking points total for Cecilie Ludwig has been reduced from 2,202 to 1,984 - but there is no reason for that to have happened and it has been corrected in the rankings release from 24th October. 

16 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The ranking from the 17th is the final ranking for the 2023 season and is the one that will be used by UCI to allocate the quotas.

The ranking list from the 18th is the first ranking for the 2024 season. In theory they should be the same but for some reason the ranking points total for Cecilie Ludwig has been reduced from 2,202 to 1,984 - but there is no reason for that to have happened and it has been corrected in the rankings release from 24th October. 

That's what I thought as well. Seems like a lot of sites have missed that one. Pretty sure that it's Giro Donna missing in the list from the 18th.

1 hour ago, Benolympique said:

Lithuania and Indonesia have quotas for road cycling?

Assume you are referring to the women's team rather than the men's and the answer is..... maybe :d - definitely one or the other of them have qualified but not both. Ultimately I think it is going to come down to the order that they apply the quota reallocation. 

So according to the qualification document, quota reallocation comes at the end of the qualification pathway. On that basis, I think that the quota order would be:

1.) World Ranking

2.) Results from 2023 World Championship

3.) Results from the 2023 Continental Championships

4.) Host quota reallocation and unused/rejected quotas.

I think that the quotas from '23 world champs should go to :HUN and :LAT

In the continental championships, there would be no change for Africa whilst :MEX and :CRC would be promoted to take the continental quotas for America. For Asia, I think that :VIE would retain their continental quota with :MAS replacing China for the second. 

That would leave the 2 host quotas to be reallocated to the world rankings list. On that basis, I would expect them to go to :UAE and :LTU.

However the font of wisdom responsible for updating Wikipedia seem to take an alternate approach and they believe that :INA would be the recipient of the second Asian continental quota. In their version of events, they have the host quotas being reallocated to the ranking list before the application of the continental quotas. 

44 minutes ago, Agger said:

That's what I thought as well. Seems like a lot of sites have missed that one. Pretty sure that it's Giro Donna missing in the list from the 18th.

The Giro points are still there so I don't think that was the issue.

I cross referenced the list of events for Ludwig in the rankings list from 17th, 18th and 24th and the individual stages and points are all exactly the same - the issue seems to be in their adding up of the totals. Maybe the batteries in the office calculator were running low when they put together the list for the 18th :d

23 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The Giro points are still there so I don't think that was the issue.

I cross referenced the list of events for Ludwig in the rankings list from 17th, 18th and 24th and the individual stages and points are all exactly the same - the issue seems to be in their adding up of the totals. Maybe the batteries in the office calculator were running low when they put together the list for the 18th :d

Well. The difference is exactly the same as what she got from the Giro ;)

18 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Assume you are referring to the women's team rather than the men's and the answer is..... maybe :d - definitely one or the other of them have qualified but not both. Ultimately I think it is going to come down to the order that they apply the quota reallocation. 

So according to the qualification document, quota reallocation comes at the end of the qualification pathway. On that basis, I think that the quota order would be:

1.) World Ranking

2.) Results from 2023 World Championship

3.) Results from the 2023 Continental Championships

4.) Host quota reallocation and unused/rejected quotas.

I think that the quotas from '23 world champs should go to :HUN and :LAT

In the continental championships, there would be no change for Africa whilst :MEX and :CRC would be promoted to take the continental quotas for America. For Asia, I think that :VIE would retain their continental quota with :MAS replacing China for the second. 

That would leave the 2 host quotas to be reallocated to the world rankings list. On that basis, I would expect them to go to :UAE and :LTU.

However the font of wisdom responsible for updating Wikipedia seem to take an alternate approach and they believe that :INA would be the recipient of the second Asian continental quota. In their version of events, they have the host quotas being reallocated to the ranking list before the application of the continental quotas. 

that's why I'm asking the question, because between Wikipedia and totallympics there are changes and I want to review my list of quotas by country! but I don't know who to trust.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Morten Jensen said:

So it looks like whoever has been updating the Wikipedia page got their calculations wrong on the women's side - Indonesia don't get a continental quota. 

3 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

So it looks like whoever has been updating the Wikipedia page got their calculations wrong on the women's side - Indonesia don't get a continental quota. 

yeah, wikipedia is wrong, :VIE got the quota (Nguyen Thi That 1° Place) alongside :MAS (Pan Phi Kun 6° Place). Indonesian athlete finished 8° (Marenda Maghfirotika)