website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

17 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

I have said it numerous times here, but switching nations should be made extremely hard. To represent you have to be born there, or both parents have to be from the country, or you have be living there for 15 years (even though in modern free times, this not very relevant) or take a lengthy non-compete clause (4 years at minimum like a doping ban). 

And i know this would never happen. Because all these sports will shoot themselves in the foot, because the "quality" and number of nations will drop. Or they will bring some EU law, about work rights, human rights etc. Like almost every football club has 10/11 foreign players in their line-ups.

It's just not fair to athletes if they aren't given the opportunity to work for other nations. Professional sport is a job like any other and in many of these sports the only way to make a lot of money is by competing on the Olympic level. I am sure as hell would be angry if I wouldn't be allowed to work in a foreign country.

And the issue isn't that countries aren't willing to spend on Olympic sports. We sure are spending a significant amount of money to raise talented athletes. Wrestling is just.... not cool. I feel like judo is doing a much better job, even here in Hungary, despite us having a far greater history in wrestling. 

Also, if us, the country that qualifies with purely Hungarian athletes in the women's table tennis team event, starts to throw money at Russian wrestlers instead of Hungarians, you know that the sport is in deep shit. 

15 minutes ago, Vektor said:

And the issue isn't that countries aren't willing to spend on Olympic sports. We sure are spending a significant amount of money to raise talented athletes. Wrestling is just.... not cool. I feel like judo is doing a much better job, even here in Hungary, despite us having a far greater history in wrestling. 

Also, if us, the country that qualifies with purely Hungarian athletes in the women's table tennis team event, starts to throw money at Russian wrestlers instead of Hungarians, you know that the sport is in deep shit. 

Wrestling not being cool is your own opinion, for many nations wrestling is one of the coolest sports. Like every olympic sports there are nations which like them and there are which do not. It is only fair that the ones which like the sport are more successful. 

Anyway, I do not like naturalizing, buy I also have a problem with people acting like only Turkey or Azerbaijan do it. Maybe they do it more, but what I saw today was almost any country does it if they see a good opportunity.

10 minutes ago, merlinsbeard said:

Wrestling not being cool is your own opinion, for many nations wrestling is one of the coolest sports. Like every olympic sports there are nations which like them and there are which do not. It is only fair that the ones which like the sport are more successful. 

Anyway, I do not like naturalizing, buy I also have a problem with people acting like only Turkey or Azerbaijan do it. Maybe they do it more, but what I saw today was almost any country does it if they see a good opportunity.

I didn't mean it as my own opinion of the sport (personally I prefer wrestling over many other Olympic disciplines), more like as a general perception of it. UWW has failed to promote the sport, if that wouldn't be the case, wrestling wouldn't lose athlete quotas while other combat sports are gaining events. 

16 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I didn't mean it as my own opinion of the sport (personally I prefer wrestling over many other Olympic disciplines), more like as a general perception of it. UWW has failed to promote the sport, if that wouldn't be the case, wrestling wouldn't lose athlete quotas while other combat sports are gaining events. 

If Romanian wrestler will disqualified (maybe , he is in McLaren list) , who will get the Olympic quota? 

6 minutes ago, Illya said:

If Romanian wrestler will disqualified (maybe , he is in McLaren list) , who will get the Olympic quota? 

Whoever wins the bronze from his side.

there will be repechage and bronze/gold medal matches tomorrow

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Wrestling needs more showcase for it’s stars. Flo Wrestling organized basically pro-boxing style cards during the pandemic (for lack of other things to broadcast). That kind of model may be worth considering between major tournaments as a way of attracting eyeballs.

Wrestling needs more opportunities for it’s stars to fight each other in a way that can attract eyeballs.

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

That is absolutely the problem. Judo, Taekwondo, and Karate all have a strong digital presence. They all have fairly well marketed World Cup series. In the case of Taekwondo, they’ve also done fantastic work with their refugee outreach program, which has gotten international attention. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, hckošice said:

Boris :clap: Combat sport quota :hyper:

Frst ever Muslim who will compete for :SVK at the Olympics. :)  What a day of history !

0f2621f3fad63457842f817f81df58ec.gif

Congrats bro, he deserved it. I watched Salkazanov and honestly he was better. He should have been there. Nice job from Boris!! :SVK ..... Slovenskooooooo, Slovenskoooooo ey ya ey ya ey ya Slovenskoooo!!!!???