website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

Unfortunately I don't have time to write an article on this but thought I'd share a few interesting stats on voting position. Obviously it's all random and based on pure luck but it's interesting to find some random trends nonetheless:

No nation has ever won a medal from voting positions 1, 5, 6, 12, 16, 17, 22, 25, 29, 31 or 32

Voting in those positions this edition: :ISR:POL:IND:LTU:TUN:ROU:NED:GER:FRA:HUN:KAZ

No nation has ever placed in the top 5 from positions 6 or 32

Voting in those positions this edition: :IND:KAZ

No nation voting in positions 24 or 26 has finished outside of the Top 30

Voting in those positions this edition: :NZL:EGY

The nation voting in position 2 has finished in the Top 5 at 5 previous contests

Voting in that position this edition: :DEN

Nations voting in positions 2 and 3 have returned 2 TISC winners each.

Voting in those positions this edition: :DEN:ITA

The nation voting in position 31 has twice finished in last place

Voting in that position this edition: :HUN

Other historical stats:

The last time :POL Poland voted in position #5 (TISC Annual 2016) they finished in 27th place.

:IND India has twice before voted in position #6 and in fact is the second time this year since they voted from this position at the TISC Annual 2020. At the TISC Annual 2016 they finished 34th (last place) while they fared better at this year's TISC Annual, placing 18th.

:MDA Moldova voted from position #8 at last year's TISC Open 2019, placing 30th.

:IRL Ireland voted from position #13 at TISC Open 2016 and went on to win the title that year.

:SVK Slovakia voted in position #14 at the very first contest (TISC Open 2013) where they finished in 33rd place.

:GBR Great Britain voted in position #15 at TISC Annual 2015 when they claimed silver.

:ARG Argentina voted in position #18 at TISC Open 2018 where they finished in 18th place.

:NED Netherlands voted in position #22 at TISC Open 2016, placing 5th.

:MLT Malta voted from position #35 already this year at TISC Annual 2020, placing 16th.

If we were to make a ranking based on the most favourable voting positions using previous results, we see Egypt have been drawn in the most favourable position while France have been drawn in the least favourable position:

1. Egypt 13.86
  2. Denmark 15.43
  3. China 15.50
  4. Malta 15.70
  5. Bulgaria 15.79
  6. Tunisia 15.79
  7. Greece 15.92
  8. Kazakhstan 16.23
  9. Mexico 16.25
  10. Great Britain 16.93
  11. Italy 17.29
  12. Netherlands 17.29
  13. New Zealand 17.29
  14. Moldova 17.57
  15. Spain 17.57
  16. Germany 17.86
  17. Romania 18.00
  18. Portugal 18.50
  19. Czech Republic 18.71
  20. Argentina 18.86
  21. Slovenia 18.86
  22. Ireland 19.14
  23. Indonesia 19.21
  24. Canada 19.36
  25. Serbia 19.79
  26. Slovakia 20.21
  27. Poland 20.43
  28. Lithuania 20.50
  29. Brazil 20.86
  30. United States 20.93
  31. Croatia 21.29
  32. Hungary 22.00
  33. India 22.21
  34. Israel 22.86
  35. France 24.64

2 hours ago, Werloc said:

Let alone, most studios are now nearly fully digital, I don't think I've seen an acoustic piano in a studio in the past five years, so even if you're a great pianist, most likely you're going to be playing on a digital piano at best if not a midi 4 octave keyboard. 

For me digital piano or a midi 4 octave keyboard (lately I bought one for just 5€ at my favorite flea market), not to mention my beloved electric guitar (let's be honest, electric violin is SOOOOOOO much nicer than the classic one) - these are all instruments. I do also agree that samplers are needed. I don't mean "don't use electronic devices", just the instruments (including electric instruments) should be in the frontground. What I don't like are all those remixes and remix-alike "hits". I bet that very few people at my age and younger would combine "this is the world we live in" with the rest of "Land of Confusion" and Genesis themselves.

19 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

For me digital piano or a midi 4 octave keyboard (lately I bought one for just 5€ at my favorite flea market), not to mention my beloved electric guitar (let's be honest, electric violin is SOOOOOOO much nicer than the classic one) - these are all instruments. I do also agree that samplers are needed. I don't mean "don't use electronic devices", just the instruments (including electric instruments) should be in the frontground. What I don't like are all those remixes and remix-alike "hits". I bet that very few people at my age and younger would combine "this is the world we live in" with the rest of "Land of Confusion" and Genesis themselves.

Oh, so I misinterpreted your thoughts. Then if electric instruments are okay, your music is mostly safe then :p

In the part where I mentioned that digital violin and digital brass instruments sounded trash, I was specifically referring to the samples and tones in the music production program that you select and play on the keyboard. That was not a diss to an electric violin. If you're not playing those instruments live, your options are very very limited and you can't really go for a solo or a decent melody, just a small accent in an instrumental.

Trombones are used sometimes, but from what I've heard using a saxophone is highly unrecommended. Same for violins that are more commonly used than for example a cello or contrabass.

Funnily enough, if you're using drums from your production program, you're playing them on a keyboard as well, so the all-mighty digital piano has put every instrument out of work :p

Still, for me personally, I am a huge lover of acoustic instruments and if I could, I would do everything the old-fashioned way. Digital instruments are getting closer, but right now you can't replace the soul that comes from an acoustic piano compared to any and every tone that you pick up from those programs.

11 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams @OlympicIRL :cry:

Well how about this, Romania voted directly before Argentina at TISC Open 2015.... and they do so again this time. Could it be a sign?

Well perhaps not because amazingly, this is the 4th time that Romania will vote directly before Argentina! :yikes:

This also happened at the TISC Annual 2014, TISC Open 2015 and the TISC Annual 2020 earlier this year. As if that wasn't enough, Argentina voted directly before Romania at TISC Annual 2016. These 2 nations seem like magnets in terms of voting position! :ROU:ARG

:ZAM Zambia :ZAM 

I’m writing a research paper on Zamrock, so I figured when in Rome...This is song from arguably the biggest Zamrock band, WITCH (We Intend To Cause Havoc). It’s got a great sound to it. 

Lazy Bones - WITCH

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

:ZAM Zambia :ZAM 

I’m writing a research paper on Zamrock, so I figured when in Rome...This is song from arguably the biggest Zamrock band, WITCH (We Intend To Cause Havoc). It’s got a great sound to it. 

Lazy Bones - WITCH

It is so cool to see people are getting interested in and are exploring Zambian rock :hearts: 
I almost nominated WITCH for the TISC Special Edition this year, and had previously nominated the WITCH back in 2015 I think, though I cannot remember whether it was with the Lazy Bones or some other song. I like this band's work very much :hearts: 
Keep exploring this little jewel! 

If you wanna do a bit more exploration on peculiar music from other countries - I recommend Cambodian rock before Khmer Rouge took over in the 1970s

17 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Well how about this, Romania voted directly before Argentina at TISC Open 2015.... and they do so again this time. Could it be a sign?

Well perhaps not because amazingly, this is the 4th time that Romania will vote directly before Argentina! :yikes:

This also happened at the TISC Annual 2014, TISC Open 2015 and the TISC Annual 2020 earlier this year. As if that wasn't enough, Argentina voted directly before Romania at TISC Annual 2016. These 2 nations seem like magnets in terms of voting position! :ROU:ARG

Romania is just weird.

Their results from the 2017 Annual through 2018 Open,

23rd - 16th - 23rd - 16th

#banbestmen