website statistics

Boxing IOC African Olympic Games Qualifier 2020

Totallympics

Is there any African nation that qualified to Rio in boxing that hasn’t qualified for Tokyo yet?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Senegal should also get a fencing quota I’d imagine. Congo isn’t a strong as they were post-African Games four years ago. Cameroon has managed to miss multiple opportunities, so can’t really feel all that bad for them.

Senegal has a bunch of chances (canoeing, fencing, judo, table tennis, wrestling) remaining. Congo on the other hand had a good year in 2016 which caused them to go above the tripartite threshold. They'll drop back down for 2024 as they are on pace for 2-4 athletes this year.

Cameroon has had bad luck, but they still have a bunch of chances, including football.

10 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I have a question for you tripartite/universality experts: is it actually possible for any country in the world to involuntarily miss the games? 

I don't think so. There are no limits on universality spots for athletics and swimming.

And even if there was a nation who avoided those sports, Tripartite Commission would surely guarantee their participation.

#banbestmen

Yeah, all NOCs have an athletic federation so even if you are in the unique situation where you are not eligible for a tripartite quota and did not participate at the World Aquatics Championships you can still send an athlete.

The IOC also has special powers to award additional quotas to anyone (this was done in 2016 to allow women to compete for Saudi Arabia) so if it came down to it the IOC will just make a quota for the nation to compete, assuming they really wanted to compete.

47 minutes ago, dcro said:

I don't think so. There are no limits on universality spots for athletics and swimming.

And even if there was a nation who avoided those sports, Tripartite Commission would surely guarantee their participation.

That is not necessarily true. A NOC must submit a request for tripartie spots. If it does not and no athletes qualify, it will not compete. However the likely hood of that is extremely low.