web
analytics
Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Totallympics

Athletics IAAF Europe vs USA Match 2019

Recommended Posts

This commentator is pure joke.  (on Eurovisionsports)

 

So, 42 points for USA and 31 for United States :lol::facepalm::wall:

Edited by justony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Nedasekau jumping 2.35m is the highlight of day one I guess?

Probably, i think the following performances were especially remarkable:

- 2.35 m for Nedasekau in men's high jump (world leading mark)

- 80.71 m for Fajdek in men's hammer throw, only he himself (3 times) and Nowicki (1 time) have produced better marks this year

- 22.35 m by Hill in men's shot put, this now ranks him 4th in the world for the year

- 4.85 m for Sidorova in women's pole vault. She now is the only athlete this year who has produced 4.85 m or better more than once and only she herself (4.86 m) and Suhr (4.91 m) have produced better marks this year


You know who wears sunglasses inside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is this event so early in the day. In the US, nobody is awake. This doesn't make sense to me at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dennis said:

Why is this event so early in the day. In the US, nobody is awake. This doesn't make sense to me at all.

What do you mean? I think both days the first events started at 7 pm local time. When should they have started in your opinion?

I agree that this way the competition doesn't make much sense, it should be held in years with no world championships/olympic games and if the IAAF wants to continue this competition, they will have to find a way to make this more attractive for the best athletes.


You know who wears sunglasses inside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OlympicsFan said:

What do you mean? I think both days the first events started at 7 pm local time. When should they have started in your opinion?

I agree that this way the competition doesn't make much sense, it should be held in years with no world championships/olympic games and if the IAAF wants to continue this competition, they will have to find a way to make this more attractive for the best athletes.

1) It's European Athletics who organises this event, not IAAF.

2) I agree with you point that it should be held in years with no WCH or Olympics. It will only clash with the ECH, but it can be solved. I'm most worried that this competition will end up being a nobody cares competition. We already have IAAF Continental Cup which many tend to forget. Yesterday the Danish commentators talked about how nice it could be if the rest of the Americas would join USA. Also Africa and Asia could join. As they said, "Let's see if we are going to have a competition between the continents. It would be interesting". I was doing this. :facepalm:

Not that many people care about team events in athletics as far as I can read around on some forums. Having too many of them could make them even less interesting.

Of course this is just my own opinion and I can't even come up with an idea/format for a global team event where all the best athlete would compete and at the same time make it interesting to watch.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wumo26 said:

and I can't even come up with an idea/format for a global team event where all the best athlete would compete and at the same time make it interesting to watch.  

And there you go: the best format for such a global team event is to have no team event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And there you go: the best format for such a global team event is to have no team event.

I'm just curious, but why do you have that opinion? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wumo26 said:

I'm just curious, but why do you have that opinion? 

Because I find athletics to be one of the worst sports to make a team event out of it. Putting hammer throwers and steeplechase runners together with sprinters and high jumpers just makes me feel like it's all way too random, as if they might as well come up with a team event that combines alpine skiing, swimming, 3x3 basketball and breakdancing. I have definitely watched some team competitions of course, but not once have I really gotten into it, all the time I just end up calculating who's moving to which position and whether that says something or not depending on which events are still to come and which countries have a strong athlete there.

 

I'm way, way more a fan of seeing athletes get to the finish line and knowing who won instead of the 5th placed dude being the happiest because his team needed a top-6 finish.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wumo26 said:

1) It's European Athletics who organises this event, not IAAF.

2) I agree with you point that it should be held in years with no WCH or Olympics. It will only clash with the ECH, but it can be solved. I'm most worried that this competition will end up being a nobody cares competition. We already have IAAF Continental Cup which many tend to forget. Yesterday the Danish commentators talked about how nice it could be if the rest of the Americas would join USA. Also Africa and Asia could join. As they said, "Let's see if we are going to have a competition between the continents. It would be interesting". I was doing this. :facepalm:

Not that many people care about team events in athletics as far as I can read around on some forums. Having too many of them could make them even less interesting.

Of course this is just my own opinion and I can't even come up with an idea/format for a global team event where all the best athlete would compete and at the same time make it interesting to watch.  

 

I do that pretty often when it comes to Danish athletics commentators :p

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...