website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

5 hours ago, Sindo said:

This would fuck up also all the qualifications to 2024 Olympics :facepalm:

Mainly Sailing and Shooting, but have two years to find a work around.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I would totally be okay with 2022. That’d be an epic year. 2 Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, and Asian Games. Plus, I’ve never lived in a time where both Olympics have taken place in a single year, so that’d be really special for me. I also think it gives the world ample time to cover recover from corona, and for the global economy to pick back up. For a business standpoint, this would be a great decision.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

I hope IOC decide it later in May. If decision made by current situation, it must be postponed. But what if it’s contained in May, it’s still possible. 

I've been saying that the right move is to wait until May to make that decision.  But there needs to be a backup plan and it seems like the IOC and the organizers aren't even considering that.

4 hours ago, Agger said:

I must say that the more I think about it, I hope the Olympics will be postponed. Even if we beat the corona within the next few months, I would think that it would have major impact on the quality when more and more athletes are forced to improvise with lockdowns in force.

Would the organizers and the IOC rather have a compromised Olympics this summer or have to scramble and reset to hold it in 2022?  Tough to figure what decision they would make given all the logistical hurdles they would have to deal with

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I would totally be okay with 2022. That’d be an epic year. 2 Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, and Asian Games. Plus, I’ve never lived in a time where both Olympics have taken place in a single year, so that’d be really special for me. I also think it gives the world ample time to cover recover from corona, and for the global economy to pick back up. For a business standpoint, this would be a great decision.

Don't forget the World Cup.  How convenient it would be for the IOC that's not being held in its usual window during the summer and instead potentially leaves those months wide open for the Olympics to be held

1 minute ago, Quaker2001 said:

Don't forget the World Cup.  How convenient it would be for the IOC that's not being held in its usual window during the summer and instead potentially leaves those months wide open for the Olympics to be held

Yep, 2022 is looking quite sexy at the moment. I still think we should wait until May, but this is easily the second best option.

14 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Don't forget the World Cup. 

Oh yeah, right when the most awesome sports are in full swing. Fantastic.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh yeah, right when the most awesome sports are in full swing. Fantastic.

Qatar: "We promise we can build air-conditioned stadiums and still hold the World Cup in June and July"

Also Qatar: "Nah, just kidding, that was stupid.. thanks FIFA for awarding us the World Cup, but how's November and December for you?"

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Yep, 2022 is looking quite sexy at the moment. I still think we should wait until May, but this is easily the second best option.

Easier said than done.  There are a ton of logistical hurdles they'll have to overcome to make that happen and my fear is that they're putting all of their eggs into one basket trying to make this summer work where it may be out of their control.

I'll hold out hope until the day the IOC makes the announcement.  I just hope should it come to the point that they can't hold the Olympics that they've at least attempted to come up with a backup plan