website statistics

Women's Water Polo Tournament at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2019

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

"In sports such as hockey or football, it's considered disrespectful to keep scoring goals against a clearly overmatched opponent."

Huh? I guess they don't know about that in Slovakia. :p

Thailand agrees though :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

So the Korean players were literally only a bunch of teenage short-distance swimmers until June :facepalm:

https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20190714002500315

I'm all in favour of host nations having a wildcard when needed, local audience needs an incentive to go visit, but when all the effort you can put in is to start training with a team barely a month before the start...no, get out.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, dcro said:

"In sports such as hockey or football, it's considered disrespectful to keep scoring goals against a clearly overmatched opponent."

Huh? I guess they don't know about that in Slovakia. :p

hey, give them a break they showed also some mercy, decreasing the intensity in the last 5 minutes link :old:

I just watched less than three minutes of third quarter. One thing - Koreans bad technical level - it's understandable. Second thing - no physical strength and thus no going forward, passing to own goalkeeper instead. Third thing - no moving in defence - just watching how the goals are scored. I'm from Poland, I know what does it mean to have bad level of water polo. And I can believe Koreans started training just in June. But it's really hard for me tp understand, why they chose short-distance swimmers instead of long-distance in the sport, where physical strength and condition are crucial.

9 hours ago, Vojthas said:

I just watched less than three minutes of third quarter. One thing - Koreans bad technical level - it's understandable. Second thing - no physical strength and thus no going forward, passing to own goalkeeper instead. Third thing - no moving in defence - just watching how the goals are scored. I'm from Poland, I know what does it mean to have bad level of water polo. And I can believe Koreans started training just in June. But it's really hard for me tp understand, why they chose short-distance swimmers instead of long-distance in the sport, where physical strength and condition are crucial.

I find it even harder to understand why they only started training in June. Was it only announced two months ago that they would be allowed to participate or what?

:NED 33-0 :RSA

:HUN 64-0 :KOR

:USA 22-3 :NZL

... and that's just after 1 day of competition...

I don't think the 16-team World Cup format is working
for this sport... at least not for the Women's Event.

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

These are not the 16 best teams in the world. The presence of the host team + the "need" of continental representation caused those huge results...if they had limited the field to 12 teams, Korea and South Africa would still be there.

1 hour ago, Dunadan said:

These are not the 16 best teams in the world. The presence of the host team + the "need" of continental representation caused those huge results...if they had limited the field to 12 teams, Korea and South Africa would still be there.

Honestly, I think it's fair that they want to include teams from all the continents (and if I remember correctly this is a requirement for Olympic Sports :mumble:). They want to promote the sport, and  since all other sports are increasing the number of teams at major competitions (there's going to be 24 teams at EuroVolley, 32 teams in the next Handball World Cup, 32  teams in the Basketball World Cup later this year)  they could lose fans to other disciplines.

But they should really distribute the quotas better or even change the format completely. I mean, as a person who doesn't know anything about this sport, but is remotely interested in the results of big events in most disciplines, a score of 33-0 in a World Championship game doesn't convince me to start following this sport regularly :d. Perhaps a division system, like in Ice Hockey would work better? Say 12 teams in Group 1, 12 teams in Group 2 etc.

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk