website statistics

Poll 39|100 | Controversial Topic | If you had the power to remove one of the Olympic Sports/Discipline at Tokyo what would it be?

Poll 39/100  

62 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the power to remove one of the Olympic Sports/Discipline at Tokyo what would it be?

• Artistic Swimming
    • Rythmic Gymnastics
    • Boxing
    • Weightlifting
    • Greco Roman Wrestling
    • Trampoline
    • Surfing
    • Skateboarding
    • Baseball/Softball
    • Sport Climbing
    • BMX Freestyle
    • Men's U23 Football
    • Fencing
    • Golf
    • Modern Pentathlon
    • Karate
    • 3*3 Basketball
    • Any Other

I vote for Golf, I don't find the sport interesting but the fact that top golfers aren't even interested to participate is more annoying.

but I also think Modern pentathlon, 3x3 basketball, surfing. BMX freestyle and skateboard don't belong to the Olympics.

6 minutes ago, FancyFenchel said:

I don't like combat sports, so all Boxing, Wrestling, Karate and co. could go.  

Artistic sports have some problems with judging and understanding who and why was winnig. However, I enjoyed watching e.g. figure skating and gymnastics with my girlfriend, so maybe there is a chance to make it more transparent. 

Then there are sports that have problems to attract the best for the games (U23 Football, obviously - golf and baseball). So, if i were removing something than something from these lists. 

I think that’s the right principle. The Olympic Games should be the summit of that particular sport, so yes to basketball, volleyball, ice hockey, women’s football, softball*, sevens rugby etc, but no to golf, men’s football, baseball*, tennis.

* You can have softball without baseball because the pitches are a lot smaller.

1 hour ago, rajiv said:

Personally I think the Olympics has far too many events -the programme has grown like topsy and is now well over 300 events ( the Winter Olympics are worse as they seek to have any event anyone can think of to stretch out the programme -guess it's for TV especially American TV  )

So many sports are just not that international and would have trouble existing if they were not Olympic sports 

Maybe ironically the sports that everyone complains about as being undeserving of Olympic inclusion because they have their biggest  events outside the Olympics may in fact be the most deserving of inclusion as that indicates that they are widely popular 

I guess the best way would be ask every country to choose say 200 events  ( Summer and winter -why have different rules ? )that they want  and the say 200 with the most votes gets in 

If you need more content for TV purposes  then have demonstration sports 

Doesn’t make sense to have the same number of events at summer and Winter Olympics obviously.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, Jinzha said:

I don't mind precision sports like archery, curling or darts, even if I don't enjoy (watching) them personally.

This might be a reach and a controversial one at that, but my reasoning is: the Olympics is also about inspiring a generation and no child should be inspired to take up shooting firearms, unless they are enrolled in a police academy or the army.

I know that stuff like archery bows and even javelins are also weapons in essence, but that's a very different story to me.

In the same argument I don't mind at all if kids are inspired to take up and strive for excellence in other 'controversial' Olympic sports like skateboarding, artistic swimming or breakdancing. 

Yes, this take definitely doesn’t make sense when you have no problem with kids taking up archery/fighting sports/modern pentathlon/biathlon. Also I absolutely don’t think that shooting being an Olympic sport has a big effect on the number of people actually practicing it.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

51 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I think that’s the right principle. The Olympic Games should be the summit of that particular sport, so yes to basketball, volleyball, ice hockey, women’s football, softball*, sevens rugby etc, but no to golf, men’s football, baseball*, tennis.

* You can have softball without baseball because the pitches are a lot smaller.

You think that gold at the Olympics is the biggest goal in ice hockey and Rugby?

Users are given the opportunity to throw a sport off the Olympic program, and y’all aren’t choosing Boxing or Weightlifting :mumble:

This was the easiest poll yet. I went straight to weightlifting and pressed submit vote :p

I love weightlifting, but there’s just too many problems at the moment. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I agree that weightlifting should be ousted from the Olympics just for the rampant PED usage and its corrupt governing body. I don't care if the countries that I root for lose their medals over this, integrity counts more to me than rooting interest.