website statistics

Bobsleigh at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

George_D

Just now, heywoodu said:

I hate having a four year period where nobody is the Olympic champion but you've always got 'one of the Olympic champions' :p 

I don't mind it because it is an unusual situation.... I mean it happens in less than 1% of Olympic events (I would guess) so that is acceptable for me :d

Just now, Nate River said:

In shooting you need to have shoot-offs because otherwise you could collude to have a tie. In a sport like bobsleigh ties happen by accident, there is no way to force one.

Alright, but still you have the likes Dom Fischnaller missing out on a luge medal by 0.002. Would have been a tie in bobsleigh. :p

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Alright, but still you have the likes Dom Fischnaller missing out on a luge medal by 0.002. Would have been a tie in bobsleigh. :p

TBH if I was in charge of the FIL luge wouldn't be timed to the thousandth. At some point it gets ridiculous.

Just now, dcro said:

Not if they use the speed skating system, where 34.341 would of course be counted as 34.34, but where 34.399 would be counted as 34.39 :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Nate River said:

TBH if I was in charge of the FIL luge wouldn't be timed to the thousandth. At some point it gets ridiculous.

What is more ridiculous is ties being so common...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Not if they use the speed skating system, where 34.341 would of course be counted as 34.34, but where 34.399 would be counted as 34.39 :p 

Nope, their times were 3:10.932 and 3:10.934. That's compliant even with the speed skating. :p

#banbestmen

Just now, heywoodu said:

No matter what kind of rounding you use there are always going to be silly situations like that. Taking a modern physics lab, where we spent a ridiculous amount of time talking about error margins, has made me ponder how we should round times in sport quite a bit and whether we should just give ties within a certain time regardless of how it rounds / trims.

Just now, dcro said:

Nope, their times were 3:10.932 and 3:10.934. That's compliant even with the speed skating. :p

I know :d