website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

26 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

Worst possible combo

Yeah, life isn't going to be easy if in both your home countries you're in serious danger of an opressive agressor as neighbour..

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, life isn't going to be easy if in both your home countries you're in serious danger of an opressive agressor as neighbour..

both aren't  seen the same way though,where's israel's bans  from everything sport related,lol[and eurovision]

Screenshot_20240303_012754_Chrome.jpg

I kept on telling my friends recently that I feel I live in New York not in Cairo due to the big number of foreigners I see everyday and it seems I was right 😅

Actually I'm sure that the number of refugees and immigrants are much bigger than that from countries that have ongoing problems for years especially Sudan , Syria and Yemen 

Edited by thepharoah

Cast my votes for TISC, and then cast my votes in the primary round of elections in California :d

Pretty slim ballot by our standards this time around. I only had to vote on 17 positions (mostly judges) and 1 proposition. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Cast my votes for TISC, and then cast my votes in the primary round of elections in California :d

Pretty slim ballot by our standards this time around. I only had to vote on 17 positions (mostly judges) and 1 proposition. 

Oh right, judges are elected. It remains incredible how 'the system' apparently keeps thinking putting the theoretically separated branches back together is....good? :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh right, judges are elected. It remains incredible how 'the system' apparently keeps thinking putting the theoretically separated branches back together is....good? :d 

We've elected/voted-to-confirm judges since statehood (according to info I found on the matter), so it's how our government was set up from the beginning in California. The process has changed over time, but it's a core aspect of our democratic system. Some judges we elect through vote, while other judges are proposed by the Governor and then comfirmed or not confirmed through a vote. 

As I've said before, voters have a lot of power in California. We can recall (force a vote on whether or not to remove an elected official from office) any elected state officials, including judges (though we've never recalled a judge). Citizen-groups can gather signatures and propose amendments to the State Constitution without ever involving elected representatives. They can also gather signatures to force referendums on legislation passed by elected officials. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

We've elected/voted-to-confirm judges since statehood (according to info I found on the matter), so it's how our government was set up from the beginning in California. The process has changed over time, but it's a core aspect of our democratic system. Some judges we elect through vote, while other judges are proposed by the Governor and then comfirmed or not confirmed through a vote. 

As I've said before, voters have a lot of power in California. We can recall (force a vote on whether or not to remove an elected official from office) any elected state officials, including judges (though we've never recalled a judge). Citizen-groups can gather signatures and propose amendments to the State Constitution without ever involving elected representatives. They can also gather signatures to force referendums on legislation passed by elected officials. 

Are the judges affiliated to a political party?

In the UK, we have elections for Police and Crime Commissioners (baisically the leader of the police in a region), and they normally stand for a party, which for me I hate as I feel we need to keep politics and beaurocracy out of certain aspects of life.